Management of risk factors for optic nerve atrophy development on the basis of a system approach and integrated assessments
State Establishment "Neurosurgery institute named after A.P. Romodanov of the Ukrainian national academy of medical sciences", the Ukraine
Objectives. To analyze the main risk factors for optic nerve atrophy (ONA) development, to elaborate the organizational measures of systemic and individual prevention.
Material and methods. The basis for population study was the comparison of the prevalence of certain factors in the groups with and without ONA (case-control analysis) and the relative risk estimation.
Results. It has been determined that among environmental risk factors on significant excess of border-line permissible concentration (BPC) of pollutants in the air the leading role in the development of ONA belongs to the following factors: metals and their compounds, formaldehyde, ammonia, fluorine. Among the social risk factors the following ones prevail: living in the industrial cities and low educational qualification. Medical risk factors for ONA are the presence of coronary heart disease, hypertension, type II diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis in the patients. System approach and integrated assessment of risk factors for ONA development can enable the determination of the basic mechanisms of risk factors management at different levels of their implementation (national, individual). At the state level, it is necessary: 1) to improve the management system and normative-legal regulation in the field of environmental protection and ecological safety; 2) to exercise state control over the observance of requirements of environmental legislation; 3) to implement state environmental programs, etc. At the individual level: the promotion of healthy life style, giving up smoking, drugs and alcohol abuse are necessary. The main measures of personal and social prevention of ONA have been also considered.
Conclusion. The made comprehensive analysis of risk factors for ONA development helps to determine the basic mechanisms of these risk factors management at different implementation levels.
Key words: optic nerve atrophy, factors, risk, prevention.
1. Romanova IYu. Ekologicheskaia meditsina i oftal'mologiia. Nauchno-prakticheskaia konferentsiia 15-16 aprelia 2009 g., Moskva, MNII GB im. Gel'mgol'tsa [Ecological medicine and ophthalmology. Scientific and practical conference on April 15-16, 2009, Moscow, GB MNII of Helmholtz]. Glaz. 2009;(3):34–6.
2. Ringach NO. Sotsіal'nі nerіvnostі, riziki navkolishn'ogo seredovishcha ta zdorov’ia [Social inequalities, risks of environment and health]. Ukraїna. Zdorov’ia natsії. 2013;(1):14–9.
3. Landrigan PJ, Fuller R. Environmental pollution and occupational health in a changing world. Ann Glob Health. 2014 Jul-Aug;80(4):245-6.
4. Vargas Marcos F. Environmental pollution as determinant factor of health. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2005 Mar-Apr;79(2):117-27.
5. Avaliani SL, Saifullina FR. O vliianii faktorov okruzhaiushchei sredy na formirovanie zabolevaemosti glaz u vzroslogo naseleniia promyshlennogo goroda [About influence of factors of environment on formation of a case rate of eyes at adult population of the industrial city]. Kazanskii meditsinskii zhurnal. 2007;88(4):374–5.
6. Nisan BA. Mezhdunarodnye aspekty organizatsii profilaktiki narushenii zreniia kak sotsial'no znachimoi patologii [International aspects of the organization of prophylaxis of disturbances of vision as socially significant pathology]. Glaz. 2012;(5):20–1.
7. Libman ES. Sovremennye pozitsii kliniko-sotsial'noi oftal'mologii [Modern positions of a kliniko-social ophthalmology]. Vestnik oftalmologii. 2004;120(1):10–2.
8. Rikov SO. Vpliv antropogennogo zabrudnennia ґruntіv na poshirenіst' khvorob organa zoru ta iogo pridatkіv [Influence of anthropogenous pollution of soils on prevalence of illnesses of an organ of vision and its appendages]. Vіsnik naukovikh doslіdzhen. 2003;(2):26–8.
9. Rikov SO. Vpliv antropogennogo zabrudnennia pitnoї vodi na poshirenіst' khvorob organa zoru ta iogo pridatkіv [Influence of anthropogenous pollution of drinking water on prevalence of illnesses of an organ of vision and its appendages]. Eksperim. ta klіnіch. fіzіologіia і bіokhіmіia. 2003;(3):111–5.
10. Morozov VI, Iakovlev AA. Zabolevaniia zritel'nogo puti. Klinika. Diagnostika. Lechenie [Diseases of a visual way. Clinic. Diagnostics. Treatment]. Moscow, RF: Binom; 2010. 680 р.
11. Gustov AV, Sigriansky KI, Stoliarova ZhP. Prakticheskaia neirooftal'mologiia [Practical neuroophthalmology]: v 2 t. T. 1. 2-e izd. Nizhny Novgorod, RF: NGMA; 2003. 260 р.
12. Makkaeva SM, Puzin MN, Ramazanova LSh. Klinicheskie osobennosti glaznogo ishemicheskogo sindroma [Clinical features of an eye ischemic syndrome]. Klinicheskaia nevrologiia. 2009;(2):14–8.