S.S. Osochuk, S.V. Buyanova, A.F. Martsinkevich
A method for estimating the probability of atorvastatin and its metabolically active derivatives association with low density and very low density lipoproteins
Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
In this paper a method for estimating the probability of atorvastatin and its active derivatives association with blood lipoprotein complexes is proposed. The investigation included 16 healthy people and 29 patients with ischaemic heart disease (IHD). Blood was taken in 2 hours after the administration of atorvastatin in the dose of 80 mg. Blood lipoprotein complexes were isolated by ultracentrifugation. The levels of cholesterol, triacylglycerols, protein, atorvastatin and its metabolically active derivatives in native lipoprotein complexes were determined using photometric methods of analysis and high performance liquid chromatography. The amount of atorvastatin and its active derivatives associated with lipoprotein complexes in patients with IHD and healthy people were subjected to cluster analysis. The resulting two clusters were not significantly different in the quantity of atorvastatin and its derivatives in HDL, while one cluster, that included patients with IHD had an increased amount of atorvastatin and its derivatives in LDL and VLDL. To determine the predictors of atorvastatin and its active derivatives association with lipoprotein complexes the method of logistic regression was used. According to the obtained model, a statistically significant indicator reflecting the possibility of atorvastatin and its derivatives association with lipoprotein complexes is the amount of HDL cholesterol. When HDL cholesterol equals 1 mmol/l the probability of the increase of atorvastatin and its derivatives content in the composition of LDL/VLDL is 0,93%, when the amount of HDL cholesterol equals 0,5 mmol/l this probability increase reaches 18,83%, when the concentration of HDL cholesterol is 0,1 mmol/l, the probability will be 75,1%. On the basis of the analysis of HDL cholesterol indicators, the proposed method allows to determine the probability of the binding of atorvastatin and its active derivatives with LDL and VLDL with the accuracy of 84,8%, specificity of 87,5% and sensitivity of 77,7%.
Key words: atorvastatin, lipoprotein complexes, HDL cholesterol.
1. Bożentowicz-Wikarek M, Kocełak P, Smertka M, Olszanecka-Glinianowicz M, Chudek J. Effectiveness of lipid-lowering therapy with statins for secondary prevention of atherosclerosis - guidelines vs. reality. Pharmacol Rep. 2012;64(2):377-85.
2. Kobalava ZhD, Villevalde SV, Shavarova EK. Bezopasnost' statinov: real'noe i nadumannoe [Safety of statines: real it is also far-fetched]. Kardiovaskuliar. terapiia i profilaktika. 2007;6(2):105-12.
3. Moßhammer D, Schaeffeler E, Schwab M, Mörike K. Mechanisms and assessment of statin-related muscular adverse effects. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2014 Sep;78(3):454-66.
4. Pattanaik S, Malhotra S, Sharma YP, Pandhi P. Comparison of alternate-day atorvastatin treatment to daily treatment in maintaining LDL-cholesterol targets in patients with variable coronary risk profile. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2012 May;59(5):479-84.
5. Christians U, Jacobsen W, Floren LC. Metabolism and drug interactions of 3-hydroxy-3-melhylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors in transplant patients: are the statins mechanistically similar. Pharmacol Ther. 1998 Oct;80(1):1-34.
6. Malhotra HS, Goa KL. Atorvastatin: an updated review of its pharmacological properties and use in dyslipidaemia. Drugs. 2001;61(12):1835-81.
7. Posvar EL, Radulovic LL, Cilla DD Jr, Whitfield LR, Sedman AJ. Tolerance and pharmacokinetics of single-dose atorvastatin, a potent inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, in healthy subjects. J Clin Pharmacol. 1996 Aug;36(8):728-31.
8. Sivkov AS. Issledovanie sravnitel'noi farmakokinetiki shiroko primeniaemykh gipolipidemicheskikh preparatov iz gruppy statinov [Research of a comparative pharmakokinetics of the preparations which are widely applied the gipolipidemicheskikh from group of statines]. Biomeditsina. 2012;1(2): 98-104.
9. Wolf KK, Brouwer KR, Pollack GM, Brouwer KL. Effect of albumin on the biliary clearance of compounds in sandwich-cultured rat hepatocytes. Drug Metab Dispos. 2008 Oct;36(10):2086-92.
10. Peters T. All about Albumin, Biochemistry, Genetics, and Medical Applications. San Diego: Academic Press; 1996. 432 p.
11. Kholodova YuD, Chaialo PP. Lipoproteiny krovi [Blood lipoproteins]: ucheb. posobie. Kiev, Ukraine: Naukova dumka; 1990. 208 р.
12. Shu HP, Nichols AV. Uptake of lipophilic carcinogens by plasma lipoproteins. Structure-activity studies. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981 Sep;665(3):376-84.
13. Yalymov AA, Shekhian GG, Zadionchenko VS. Vliianie atorvastatina na pokazateli lipidnogo obmena, mikrotsirkuliatsii i sutochnogo monitorirovaniia elektrokardiogrammy u bol'nykh s ostrym koronarnym sindromom [Influence of an atorvastatin on indicators of a lipide exchange, microcirculation and daily monitoring of an electrocardiogram at patients with an acute coronary syndrome]. Aktual. voprosy boleznei serdtsa i sosudov. 2007;(3):47-52.
14. Nelson JJ, Liao D, Sharrett AR, Folsom AR, Chambless LE, Shahar E, Szklo M, Eckfeldt J, Heiss G. Serum albumin level as a predictor of incident coronary heart disease: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Am J Epidemiol. 2000 Mar;151(5):468-77.
15. Osochuk SS, Korobov GD, Buyanova SV. Raspredelenie atorvastatina v lipoproteinovykh kompleksakh bol'nykh IBS cherez 2 chasa posle ego odnokratnogo priema [Distribution of an atorvastatin in the lipoproteinovykh complexes of ischemic heart disease patients in 2 hours after his single reception]. Zhurn. Grodn. gos. med. un-ta. 2012;37(1):59-61.
16. Buyanova SV, Osochuk SS, Korobov GD. Sostav lipoproteinov krovi donorov cherez 2 chasa posle odnokratnogo priema atorvastatina [Structure of lipoproteins of a blood of donors in 2 hours after single reception of an atorvastatin]. Klin. lab. diagnostika. 2011;(8):18-22.
17. Klimov AN, Nikulcheva NG. Lipidy, lipoproteidy i ateroskleroz [Lipids, lipoproteins and atherosclerosis]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: Piter; 1995. 304 р.
18. Panin LE. Obmen lipoproteinov i ateroskleroz [Exchange of lipoproteins and atherosclerosis]. Biul. SO RAMN. 2006:(2):15-22.