Baitus N.A.*, Novak N.V.**
Experimental study of optical properties of the devitalized teeth on short-wave lighting
*Clinic of Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
**State Educational Establishment «Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education», Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2016;15(4):73-79.
It is known that after depulpation the appearance of the tooth changes significantly, it becomes dull, «lifeless». In addition, devitalized teeth can acquire a new shade and its color, for example, will depend on the filling material, obturating the root canal. Any patient may be in the conditions of short-wave lighting, so the correspondence of the fluorescent properties of the non-vital teeth to natural vital ones should be taken into account. To achieve the effect, when the devitalized tooth in a specific light corresponds in color to the natural tooth is very problematic. Even if such a tooth fluoresces, it does not mean that the spectrum of its fluorescence will match the natural live tooth, i.e. it will be white and blue, as it can be purple, blue and green. The aim of this study was to evaluate the intensity and spectral composition of the fluorescence emission of the devitalized teeth before and after their whitening. The object of the research was 36 devitalized human teeth removed when clinically indicated in patients at the different age. Measuring the spectra of fluorescence properties of the studied objects was carried out at the Institute of Physics of the Belarusian National Academy of Sciences by means of a comparative evaluation of the fluorescence spectra of the devitalized teeth hard tissues in patients of different age groups before and after whitening. The conducted studies have shown that patients’ devitalized teeth differ in their fluorescence properties. After intracoronal whitening the devitalized teeth change their fluorescence properties, and it is possible to select: a group of teeth the shade and the fluorescence emission intensity of which do not differ from vital teeth (p>0,05); a group of teeth having similar to vital teeth bluish fluorescence color, but different light intensity (p<0,001); a group of teeth with different shade and intensity of the fluorescence emission compared to vital teeth (p<0,001). When choosing a method of aesthetic restoration of the devitalized teeth color in patients their fluorescence properties should be taken into account.
Key words: fluorescence, devitalized tooth, optical properties.
1. Radlinskiy S. Svoistvo fluorestsentsii restavrirovannogo zuba [Property of fluorescence of restored tooth]. Maestro Stomatologii. 2008;(3):45-9.
2. de Paula AB, Campos JA, Diniz MB, Hebling J, Rodrigues JA. In situ and in vitro comparison of laser fluorescence with visual inspection in detecting occlusal caries lesions. Lasers Med Sci. 2011 Jan;26(1):1-5.
3. Gonchukov SA, Sukhinina AV. Optimizatsiia spektroskopicheskikh parametrov fliuorestsentnoi diagnostiki parodontita [Optimization of spectroscopic parameters of fluorescent diagnostics of a periodontal disease]. V: Nauchnaia sessiia NIIaU MIFI-2010. Moscow, RF; 2010. Т 1. Р. 224-7.
4. McCaslin AJ, Haywood VB, Potter BJ, Dickinson GL, Russell CM. Assessing dentin colour changes from night guard vital bleaching. J Am Dent Assoc. 1999 Oct;130(10):1485-90.
5. Aleksandrov MT, Grudyanov AI, Masychev VI, Frolova OA, Zaytseva EV, Moskalev KE. Izuchenie intensivnosti fluorestsentsii intaktnykh i patologicheski izmenennykh tkanei zuba [Studying of intensity of fluorescence intact and patholologically the changed tooth tissues]. Novoe v Stomatologii. 2000;(1):26-32.
6. Novak NV; Bel Med Akad Poslediplom Obrazovaniia. Esteticheskoe vosstanovlenie postoiannykh zubov s defektami tverdykh tkanei [Esthetic restoration of second teeth with defects of firm tissues]: avtoref dis … d-ra med nauk: 14.01.14. Minsk, RB; 2012. 44 р.
7. Lutskaya IK, Novak NV, Kavetsky VP. Fluorescence of dental hard tissue and restorative materials. International Dentistry African Edition. 2012;2(5):76-84.
Information about authors:
Baitus N.A. – restorative stomatologist, Clinic of Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University»;
Novak N.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Restorative Dentistry, State Educational Establishment «Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education».