The effect of flaxseed oil on the spectrum of fatty acids of sphingomyelins and phosphatidylcholines of erythrocytes membranes in sportsmen
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(1):16-22.
Sphingomyelins participate in the formation of preprotein pools of the membranes and exert a significant influence on the function of transmembrane proteins. Phosphatidylcholines are major phospholipids of membranes. They are involved in the transport of polyunsaturated fatty acids and cells metabolism. Physico-chemical properties of the membranes are determined by the spectrum of phospholipid fatty acids and determine the functional activity of erythrocytes membranes in athletes.
Objectives. To investigate the effect of flaxseed oil on the spectrum of fatty acids of sphingomyelins and phosphatidylcholines of sportsmen’s erythrocytes membranes.
Material and methods. Linseed-oil obtained from Ltd «Club «Pharm-Eco» (Republic of Belarus, the town of Drogichin), contained 11,2±4,2% palmitic (C16:0), 13,6±5,8% oleic (C18:1n9), 42,2±8,1% linoleic (C18:2n6), 32,2±4,4% linolenic (C18:3n3) acids. The study was conducted on the athletes of the Vitebsk School of Olympic Reserve. The blood from the cubital vein was taken at the beginning of the investigation on the 15th and the 30th day of linseed-oil intake. Sphingomyelins and phosphatidylcholines were isolated from erythrocytes membranes by the thin-layer chromatography (TLC) method. The fatty acid spectrum of phospholipids was determined by gas chromatography with capillary column.
Results. It has been found that the greatest changes occur in sphingomyelins. The amount of oleic (C18:1n9), linoleic (C18:2n6), linolenic (C18:3n3), and arachidonic (C20:4n6) acids was noted to increase. It has been concluded that the synthesis of oleic (C18:1n9) and arachidonic (C20:4n6) acids was increased.
Conclusions. The conclusion about the possibility of a modified sphingomyelins considerable influence on the conformation of the transmembrane proteins and membrane function as a whole has been arrived at.
Key words: polyunsaturated fatty acids, membrane, red blood cell, athletes.
1. Zavalishina SYu, Mal'tseva TS. Microrheologic features of erythrocytes at regularly training candidates and Masters of Sports in track and field athletics of the first mature age. Vestn Novykh Med Tekhnologii. 2012;19(2):134-7. (In Russ.)
2. Loktyushkin AV. Features of transport of oxygen through a membrane of erythrocytes: dis … kand biol nauk: 03.00.02. Moscow, RF; 2009. 135 р. (In Russ.)
3. Osochuk SS, Martsinkevich AF. Oxidizing modification of proteins and lipids of membranes of erythrocytes of athletes of cyclic sports. Vestn BGU Ser 2 Khimiia Biologiia Geografiia. 2015;(2):47-52. (In Russ.)
4. Hendriks T, Klompmakers AA, Daemen FJM, Bonting SL. Biochemical aspects of the visual process XXXII. Movement of sodium ions through bilayers composed of retinal and rod outer segment lipids. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1976;433:271-81.
5. Titov VN, Vostrov IA, Kaba SI, Amelyushkina VA, Shiryaeva YuK. Lipoproteins of low and very low density: pathogenetic and clinical value. Klin Meditsina. 2013;91(1):20-7. (In Russ.)
6. Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 2003;916;i-viii,1-149.
7. Dodge JT, Mitchell C, Hanahan DJ. The preparation and chemical characteristics of hemoglobin free ghosts of erythrocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1963 Jan;100:119-30.
8. Folch J, Lees M, Sloane SG. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J Biol Chem. 1957 May;226(1):497-509.
9. Sergeeva MG, Varfalomeeva AT. Cascade of arachidonic acid. Moscow, RF: Narod obrazovanie; 2006. 256 р. (In Russ.)
10. Borovik TE, Gribakin SG, Skvortsova VA, Semenova NN, Stepanova TN, Zvonkova NG. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and their role in infant nutrition. A review of the literature. Vopr Sovremen Pediatrii. 2012;(4):21-8. (In Russ.)
11. Titov VN. Isoenzymes stearyl-coenzyme A-desaturase and insulin action in the light of the phylogenetic theory of pathology. Oleic fatty acid and realization of biologic functions of trophology and locomotion. Klin Lab Diagnostika. 2013;(11):16-26. (In Russ.)
12. Osochuk SS, Martsinkevich AF, Korolevich MP. The increase in working capacity of sportsmen of cyclic kinds of sports flax oil. V: Sostoianie zdorov'ia: meditsinskie, sotsial'nye i psikhologo-pedagogicheskie aspekty: sb nauch st VII Mezhdunar nauch-prakt internet-konf, 29 fevr – 5 marta 2016 g. Chita, RF: Zabaikal gos un-t; 2016. Р. 315-20.
Information about authors:
Asachuk S.S. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, associate professor, head of the Scientific-Research Laboratory, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.