Allergy revealing and sensitization to titanium dioxide and titanium nitride in patients with intolerance to dental materials
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(2):106-112.
The purpose of the present research was to reveal sensibilization to titanium dioxide in patients with intolerance to dental alloys galvanized with titanium nitride.
We conducted an examination of 47 patients complaining of intolerance to punched-soldered orthopedic constructions from stainless steel galvanized with titanium nitride. The age of patients varied from 39 to 76 years, among them were 11 men and 36 women. The control group included 30 practically healthy subjects comparable with regard to their gender and age to patients of the studied group.
It has been established that in patients with intolerance to dental alloys, galvanized with titanium nitride, sensibilization to titanium dioxide was revealed using diagnosing results, the reaction of allergen induced damage of leukocytes, in 16 (34%) patients that reliably differed (p≤0,05) from 3 (10%) positive results obtained in the control group (n=30).
We found out the existence of direct strong correlation (R=0,76; p≤0,05) between the results of detecting hypersensitivity to TiO2 and Ti-Ni defined in the reaction of allergen induced damage of leukocytes, this indicates the combined influence of various substances on the oral cavity mucosa, with general hypersensitivity inductor – Ti2+.
It has been shown that titanium dioxide is capable to induce the appearance of symptoms of stomatologic materials intolerance owing to its broad all-round use in cosmetic production, food and pharmaceutical industry and continuous impact of these substances on the oral cavity mucosa.
The problem of intolerance to dental alloys galvanized with titanium nitride is complex. When patients complain of intolerance, it is necessary to study them concerning their hypersensitivity to titanium dioxide.
Key words: hypersensitivity, titanium dioxide, titanium nitride.
1. Velichko LS, Yashchikovskiy NV. Differential diagnostics, prophylaxis and treatment of hyperesthesias of an oral cavity. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2012;(1):34-6. (In Russ.)
2. Lebedev KA, Mitronin AV, Ponyakina ID. Intolerance of dentoprosthetic materials. Moscow, RF: Librokom; 2010. 208 р. (In Russ.)
3. Alyakhnovich NS, Novikov DK. Prevalence, use and pathological effects of titanium dioxide. Vestn VGMU. 2016;15(2):7-16. (In Russ.)
4. Westerhoff P, Song G, Hristovski K, Kiser MA. Occurrence and removal of titanium at full scale wastewater treatment plants: implications for TiO2 nanomaterials. J Environ Monit. 2011 May;13(5):1195-203. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c1em10017c
5. Weir A, Westerhoff P, Fabriciu L, Hristovski K, von Goetz N. Titanium dioxide nanoparticles in food and personal care products. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46(4):2242-50. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es204168d
6. Alyakhnovich NS, Novikov DK. Food dye and фармацевтик titanium dioxide as pathogen. Immunopatologiia Allergologiia Infektologiia. 2015;(1):71-7. (In Russ.)
7. Titova ND. Allergic and non-allergic reactions to additives in food and medicines. Allergologiia Immunologiia. 2010;11(3):250-8. (In Russ.)
8. Titova ND. Allergy, atopy, IgE antibodies and the allergen concept network. Immunoatologiia Allergologiia Infektologiia. 2011;(4):39-47. (In Russ.)
9. Khramchenko SN, Kazeko LA. Composite materials in a therapeutic odontology: ucheb-metod posobie. Minsk, RB; 2007. 20 р. (In Russ.)
10. Shi H, Magaye R, Castranova V, Zhao J. Titanium dioxide nanoparticles: a review of current toxicological data. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2013 Apr;10:15. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1743-8977-10-15
11. Novikov DK, Sergeev YuV, Novikov PD. Drug Allergy. Moscow, RF: Nats akad mikologii; 2001. 330 р. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Karpuk I.Y. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, doctoral candidate of the Сhair of Clinical Immunology &Allergology with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.