Rubnikovich S.P.1, Fisjunov A.D.2, Shukevich Y.I.3
Biomechanical analysis of a three-dimensional mathematical model of a composite-reinforced stump post
1Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
2Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
3Belarusian National Technical University, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(4):97-103.
A tooth and its surrounding tissues comprise a unified biomechanical system responsible for perception, distribution and absorption of repeated masticatory load. Regeneration of the biomechanical integrity is crucial in the restoration of hard tissue defects.
The authors have proposed a fiber-reinforced composite stump post that differs in its fabrication procedure during which primary and some additional fiber posts are used, they strengthen stump retention, efficiently distribute the load and reinforce the whole system.
This article presents the results of the strain-stress state studying on a 3D mathematical model of the suggested composite-reinforced post using the finite elements method. As a result of the conducted research the 3D mathematical model has been developed, that includes as the initial data the characteristics of the hard dental tissues, the restorative post construction, an artificial crown covering it and luting cements.
The research covered the distribution of stresses arising from the use of the uniquely designed post and a single-post analogue under the action of differently directed stresses ranging from 150 to 1050 N, with different thickness of luting cement ranging from 0,3 to 0,7 mm and with the differential tooth fixation level imitating a bundle bone atrophy. The suggested post construction allows to decrease the level of the corresponding stress: at the top of the post construction – by 63,64%, at the media boundaries – by 83,33%, in the root dentine – by 85,42% as compared to commonly used constructions.
Key words: defects of hard dental tissues, fiber-reinforced composite stump post, strain-stress state, finite elements method, three-dimensional mathematical model.
1. Denisova YL, Bazylev NB, Rubnicovich SP, Fomin NA. Laser speckle technology in stomatology. Diagnostics of stresses and strains of hard biotissues and orthodontic and orthopedic structures. J Eng Phys Thermophys. 2013 Jul;86(4):940-51. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10891-013-0915-y
2. Żarow М, Pawlicka H, Krupiński J, D'Arcangelo C. EndoProtetyka: рrzewodnik dla praktyki. Warszawa: Kwintesencja; 2013. 309 p.
3. Rubnikovich SP, Fomin NA, Bazylev NB. Theoretical study of the biomechanical behavior of the mathematical model in the «pin design – the root of the tooth». Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2001;(2):44-6. (In Russ.)
4. Rubnikovich SP. Denture treatment with the reduced height of a coronal part. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2002;(1):37-8. (In Russ.)
5. Fomin NA, Rubnicovich SP, Bazylev NB. New possibilities of investigating blood flow in soft tissues of the mouth. J Eng Phys Thermophys. 2008 May;81:533. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10891-008-0065-9
6. Bazylev NB, Rubnikovich SP. Investigation of the stressed-strained state of cermet dentures using digital laser speckle-photographic analysis. J Eng Phys Thermophys. 2009 Jul;82:789. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10891-009-0247-0
7. Rubnikovich SP, Fomin NA, Bazylev NB. The analysis of an intense and deformation condition of the fang restored by a cast kultevy bayonet tab by method of the digital spekl-photo. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2001;(3):50-2. (In Russ.)
8. Rubnikovich SP, Fisyunov AD, Shukevich YaI. Methods of biomechanical assessment of the intense deformed condition of firm tissues of teeth and recovery bayonet designs. Stomatolog. 2016;(4):48-56. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Rubnikovich S.P. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education;
Fisjunov A.D. – senior teacher of the Chair of General Dentistry with the course of Prosthetic Dentistry, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, postgraduate of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education;
Shukevich Y.I. – assistant-researcher of the Scientific-Research Laboratory «Systems behavior and materials mechanics», Belarusian National Technical University.