Fisjunov A.D.1, Rubnikovich S.P.2
Composite-reinforced stump posts application for hard dental tissues defects restoration
1Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
2Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2018;17(1):91-99.
The development of restoration methods of devitalized teeth, destructed due to pathological processes, is a highly topical problem of modern dentistry.
Objectives. To study the efficacy of treating patients with fallen out crowns by means of composite-reinforced stump posts.
Material and methods. We have developed a composite-reinforced post and core (CRPC) construction using primary and supplementary fiber-optic pins (FOP), which enhance stump retention, distribute the load properly and thus strengthen the system itself, and have offered it for practical application.
In order to compare and assess the effectiveness of the suggested post and core construction, a composite inlay (CI), reinforced with a single FOP, and a cast post and core (CPC), made of cobalt-chromium alloy, we have been examining and studying the condition and changes of the constructions compared for four years.
Results. The article presents the results of clinical examination of 143 patients having complete crown defects for whom 190 post and core constructions have been made, including 69 inlays (36,32%) manufactured according to the suggested technique.
The data received evidence high clinical efficacy of treatment provided for patients with complete loss of crowns using CRPCs. The application of the suggested post construction eliminates such significant complications as post and core or root fracture, decementation of dental protheses.
The application of the above-mentioned composite-reinforced post and core constructions in treatment of patients with complete loss of crowns allowed to achieve satisfactory prosthodontic treatment results and to avoid complications within the remote period of time in 97,1% of cases, while upon the usage of the known treatment methods the complications were absent only in 80 and 81,97% of all cases.
Key words: hard dental tissues defects, post and core construction, composite-reinforced stump post.
1. Żarow М. EndoProtetyka : przewodnik dla praktyki. Warszawa: Kwintesencja; 2013. 324 p.
2. Rubnikovich SP, Fisyunov AD. The reconstruction of defects of hard tissues of teeth with the use of pin structures. Stomatolog Minsk. 2016; (22):51-7. (In Russ.)
3. Rey HA, Trope M. Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in relation to the technical quality of the root filling and the coronal restoration. Int Endod J. 1995 Jan;28(1):12-8.
4. Ferrari, M. Fiber Posts: Characteristics and Clinical Applications / M. Ferrari, R. Scotti. – Milano, 2004.
5. Becciani, R. La biomeccanica del dente trattato endodonticamente. Implicazioni cliniche / R. Becciani, A. Castelucci // Dental Cadmos. – 2002. – Vol. 1. – P. 15–35.
6. Fomin NA, Rubnikovich SP, Bazylev NB. Analysis of the stress-strain state of the tooth root, restored cast stump pin tab, with the method of digital speckle photography. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2001;(3):50-2. (In Russ.)
7. Salameh Z, Sorrentino R, Ounsi HF, Goracci C, Tashkandi E, Tay FR, et al. Effect of different all-ceramic crown system on fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated maxillary premolars restored with and without glass fiber posts. J Endod. 2007 Jul;33(7):848-51. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.01.017
8. Rubnikovich SP. Laser-optical diagnostics of diseases of the periodontium and justification of methods of their treatment. Stomatolog Minsk. 2012;(1):15-9. (In Russ.)
9. Grandini S, Goracci C, Monticelli F, Tay FR, Ferrari M. Fatigue resistance and structural characteristics of fiber posts: three-point bending test and SEM evaluation. Dent Mater. 2005;21(2):75-82.
10. Bazulev N, Fomin N, Fuentes C, Hirano T, Lavinskaja E, Martemianov S, et al. Laser monitor for soft and hard biotissue analysis using dynamic speckle photography. Laser Physics. 2003;13(5):1-10.
11. Denisova YuL, Bazylev NB, Rubnikovich SP, Fomin NA. Laser speckle technology in dentistry. Diagnosis of stress and deformation of hard tissues, orthodontic and prosthetic. Inzhener-Fiz Zhurn. 2013;86(4):882-93. (In Russ.)
12. D'Arcangelo C, De Angelis F, Vadini M, D'Amario M, Caputi S. Fracture resistance and deflection of pulpless anterior teeth restored with composite or porcelain veneers. J Endod. 2010 Jan;36(1):153-6. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2009.09.036
13. Rubnikovich SP. Prosthetics with a reduced height of the crown. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2002;(1):37-9. (In Russ.)
14. Rubnikovich SP, Fisyunov AD, Shukevich YaI. Biomechanical analysis of three-dimensional mathematical model of composite-reinforced stump pin tabs. Vestn VGMU. 2017;16(4):97-103. (In Russ.)
15. Rubnikovich SP, Fisyunov AD. Restoration of crown of tooth with use of composite-reinforced pin copings. V: Medelektronika – 2015 Sredstva meditsinskoi elektroniki i novye meditsinskie tekhnologii: sb nauch st IX Mezhdunar nauch-tekhn konf (Minsk 4-5 dek 2015 g). Minsk, RB: BGUIR; 2015. Р. 108-9. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Fisjunov A.D. – senior lecturer of the Chair of General Dentistry with the course of Prosthetic Dentistry, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Rubnikovich S.P. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education.