Shchastniy A.T., Konevalova N.Y., Rednenko V.V., Poplavets E.V.
Vitebsk State Medical University: new examination technologies on certification of subinterns in the field of emergency medical care
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2018;17(2):70-75.
In VSMU for the students of the 6th year the university course “Emergency medical care” was introduced. The training was carried out using clinical and simulation forms of education. To assess the professional competence of the students in the field of emergency medical care the technology of objective structurized clinical examination (OSCE) was used.
Within the framework of OSCE, professional competencies including patient’s examination, diagnosis making, treatment and additional investigations administration, electrocardiography, ECG interpreting, X-ray and laboratory examination results, glucometry and peak flowmetry, basic resuscitation with defibrillation by means of an external automatic defibrillator were checked up.
Simulation technologies, standardized patients included, were widely used on certification.
Key words: emergency medical care, certification, OSCE, simulation, standardized, station.
1. Shchastnyy AT, Rednenko VV, Konevalova NYu, Poplavets EV. The status and direction of development of simulation education in Vitebsk state medical University. Vestn VGMU. 2015;14(3):107-17. (In Russ.)
2. Svistunov AA, Shubina LB, Gribkov DM. Trust in modern medical education. Med Obrazovanie Prof Razvitie. 2014;(2):41-51. (In Russ.)
3. Gorshkov MD, sost, Svistunov A, red. Simulation training in the specialty "Medical care». Moscow, RF: GOETAR-Media; 2014. 288 р. (In Russ.)
4. Kan KZ, Ramachandran S, Gont K, Pushkar P. Objective structured clinical examination (OSCE): guide AMEE No. 81. Part 1: Historical and theoretical perspectives. Med Obrazovanie Prof Razvitie. 2014;(2):23-40. (In Russ.)
5. Kramer A, Muijtjens A, Jansen K, Düsman H, Tan L, van der Vleuten C. Comparison of a rational and an empirical standard setting procedure for an OSCE. Objective structured clinical examinations. Med Educ. 2003 Feb;37(2):132-9.
6. Troncon LEA, Dantas RO, Figueiredo FC, Ferriolli E, Moriguti LC, Ana Martinelli LC, et al. A standardized structured long case examination of clinical competence of senior medical students. Med. Teach. 2000;22(4):380-5. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/014215900409483
Information about authors:
Shchastniy A.T. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, rector, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Konevalova N.Y. – Doctor of Biological Sciences, professor, pro-rector for academic affairs, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Rednenko V.V. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, head of the Educational Centre of Practical Training and Simulation Teaching, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Poplavets E.V. – senior lecture of the Educational Centre of Practical Training and Simulation Teaching, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.