Gusakova E.A., Gorodetskaya I.V.
«Time deficiency» emotional stress model
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2019;18(1):8-13.
A model of emotional stress of the «time deficiency» has been proposed: a rat is placed in a spiral-shaped tunnel, that is quickly filled with cold water. Stressful situation is formed due to the fact that the animal, trying to avoid contact with cold water, is forced to move up the device and being in an enclosed space, can not avoid the situation in which it found itself. After the test, the rat is placed in an individual cage. The water from the device is removed.
Objectives. To develop the way of modelling emotional stress in laboratory animals by creating «time deficiency» and to compare its stress effect with that of «free swimming of rats in a cage» stress.
Material and methods. The experiment was conducted on 60 white mongrel male rats weighing 220-240 g. Stress was modelled according to the methods of «time deficiency» and «free swimming of rats in a cage». The intensity of the stress reaction was assessed by changes in the relative mass of the adrenal glands, thymus and spleen, damage to the gastric mucosa, as well as the shift in the concentration of corticosteroids in the blood.
Results. It has been found that the effect of this «time deficiency» method causes the appearance of stress-specific changes in animals: the relative weight of the adrenal glands is increased (by 31%), relative weights of the spleen and thymus are decreased (by 14 and 26%), the concentration of corticosteroids in the blood is increased (by 43%) , the damage to the gastric mucosa occurs (in 80% of rats with the severity of damage making up 1 point in 20% of animals, 2 or 3 points in 60% of rats at the ratio of 1:1, a multiplicity of 2 hemorrhages per animal is observed in 30%, 3 in 40% and 4 in 10% of rats, index of damage is 4,7).
Conclusions. Compared with the existing methods, the proposed one increases the objectivity of studying the influence of stress on the psychosomatic status of the animal, because: 1) it presupposes an individual study of rats, which excludes the effect of their joint staying on behavioral and vegetative indices; 2) it allows efficient removal of animal waste products due to flushing the device with large amount of water after testing each rat; 3) it excludes injury to animals.
Key words: emotional stress, model, time deficiency, stress reaction.
1. Gurskaya AI, Otvalko EA, Yatskovskaya NM, Chirkin AA. Biochemical criteria for acute and chronic stress in immobilizing rats. Vesn VDЎ. 2018;(1):61-5. (In Russ.)
2. Chumakova AS, Nesterov YuV, Kur'yanova EV, Tryasuchev AV. Comparative study of stress-induced free-radical reactions in lung tissue, liver and heart in white rats of different ages. Fundam Issled. 2014;(12-3):537-41. (In Russ.)
3. Ostrovskaya IG, Vavilova TP, Erofeeva LM, Mitronin AV. Influence of emotional-cold stress on the structural-functional state of dental pulp. Kuban Nauch Med Vestn. 2015;(1):99-102. (In Russ.)
4. Wang LI, Liu F, Luo Y, Zhu L, Li G. Effect of acute heat stress on adrenocorticotropic hormone, cortisol, interleukin-2, interleukin-12 and apoptosis gene expression in rats. Biomed Rep. 2015 May;3(3):425-429. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3892/br.2015.445
5. Burdzhanadze G, Menabde K, Gavashelidze M, Kuchukashvili Z, Koshoridze N. Functional state of the mitochondrial pore of the brain of white rats under long-term emotional stress. Zhurn Ctress-fiziologii Biokhimii. 2011;7(4):88-96. (In Russ.)
6. Yumatov EA, Pevtsova EI, Mezentseva LA. Physiologically adequate experimental model of aggression and emotional stress. Zhurn Vyssh Nerv Deiatel'nosti im IP Pavlova. 1988;38(2):350-4. (In Russ.)
7. Sudakov KV. New accents in the classic stress concept. Biul Eksperim Biologii Meditsiny. 1997;123(2):124-30. (In Russ.)
8. Bondarenko SN, Bondarenko NA, Manukhina EB. Influence of different stress and adaptation techniques on behavioral and somatic parameters in rats. Biul Eksperim Biologii Meditsiny. 1999;128(8):157-60. (In Russ.)
9. Khan AG, Sarangi M, Bhalla US. Rats track odour trails accurately using a multi-layered strategy with near-optimal sampling. Nat Commun. 2012 Feb;3:703. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms1712
10. Gorodetskaya IV, Gusakova EA; zaiavitel' Vit gos med un-t. A device for modeling emotional stress in an experimental animal: pat 11571 Resp Belarus', MPK A 61V 5/16, G 09V 23/28. № u 20171230; zaiavl 08.06.2017; opubl 30.12.17. Afіts Biul. 2017;(6):118-9. (In Russ.)
11. Sel'ye G. Essays on the adaptation syndrome. Moscow, RF: Medgiz; 1960. 254 р. (In Russ.)
12. Volozhin AI, Tarasenko LM, Neporada KS, Skrypnik IN. An experimental model of stomach peptic ulcer. Patol Fiziologiia Eksperim Terapiia. 2001;(4):27-8. (In Russ.)
13. Vinogradov VA, Polonskiy VM. Effect of neuropeptides on experimental duodenal ulcer in rats. Patol Fiziologiia Eksperim Terapiia. 1983;27(1):3-7. (In Russ.)
14. Starskaya IS, Polevshchikov AV. Morphological aspects of thymus atrophy in stress. Immunologiia. 2013;34(5):271-7. (In Russ.)
15. Nikol'skiy VI, Sergatskiy KI. Etiology and pathogenesis of acute gastroduodenal ulcers complicated by bleeding. Vestn Khirurg Gastroenterologii. 2009;(4):53-63. (In Russ.)
16. Chegodar' DV, Kubyshkin AV. Influence of nano-silver solution on the processes of nonspecific proteolysis in stomach mucosa during the simulation of ulcer damage. Vestn SPbU Ser 11 Meditsina. 2015;(3):138-48. (In Russ.)
17. Mikhaylova IV. Content of lipid peroxidation products in gastric mucosa biopsy. Mezhdunar Zhurn Priklad Fundam Issled. 2015;(8-2):248-50. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Gusakova E.A. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of General, Physical and Colloid Chemistry, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Gorodetskaya I.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Normal Physiology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.