Shulmin A.V.1, Gerberg A.A.1, Tikhonova N.V.2
Research on the impact of participation in the work of medical institutions rendering assistance to patients with COVID-19 on the students’ professional self-identification
1Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
2Krasnoyarsk State Medical University named after prof. V.F. Voino-Yasenetsky, Krasnoyarsk, Russian Federation
Vestnik VGMU. 2021;20(4):89-97.
Objectives. To study the impact of participation in the work of medical institutions providing assistance to patients with COVID-19 on the professional self-identification of students.
Material and methods. The study was carried out on the basis of the educational institution «VSMU». Inclusion group: medical students of the 4th-6th years who took part in the work of medical teams providing assistance to patients during the period of an epidemic rise in the incidence of respiratory infections, including SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus one. The survey was conducted in the form of an anonymous questionnaire. To segment the respondents according to certain criteria, depending on their answers, the «decision tree» method was used.
Results. In the course of the study, it has been found that 1.8 times more often the question «To what extent did you manage to combine your work and studies?» the answer «everything turned out well» was given by the students who indicated that they had a curator who helped them to cope with their professional adaptation difficulties. The higher the self-esteem of the personal level of knowledge and skills was, the more often students chose the answer that they were definitely not going to leave medicine and change their profession.
Conclusions. Based on the survey data, one of the most significant factors influencing the adaptation and development of practical skills is the high-quality work of university teaching staff and a physician-curator. An important role in professional adaptability is played by the solution of psychoemotional problems of working students through the establishment of their close interaction with the social, pedagogical and psychological service of the university, professional training centers.
Key words: professional adaptation and self-identification of medical students, students’ work during the COVID-19 pandemic, expectations of medical students, motivation for choosing a profession, the «decision tree» method.
1. On the procedure for involving students in the provision of medical care to patients and activities related to the circulation of medicines, pharmaceutical substances and medicinal plant raw materials, and on the specifics of the practice of students of institutions of higher education that provide training in the field of education "Health" postanovlenie M-va zdravookhraneniia Respubliki Belarus' ot 20.09.2012 g. № 143: v red postanovleniia M-va zdravookhraneniia Respubliki Belarus' ot 11.12.2015 g. № 118. Pravo.by: Nats pravovoi Internet-portal Resp Belarus'. Available from: https://pravo.by/document/?guid=12551&p0=W21226469&p1=1. [Accessed 14th September 2021]. (In Russ.)
2. Nikonov AN, Gerberg AA, Timofeeva AP. The Role of Intensive Technologies in Enhancing Practice-Oriented Learning in Higher Education. V: M-vo zdravookhraneniia Resp. Belarus', UO «Viteb gos ordena Druzhby narodov med un-t»; [Shchastnyi AT, gl red; Konevalova NIu, i dr, redkol]. Meditsinskoe obrazovanie XXI veka: praktikoorientirovannost' i povyshenie kachestva podgotovki spetsialistov: sb materialov Resp nauch-prakt konf s mezhdunar uchastiem. Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2018. Р. 63-5. (In Russ.)
3. Kulik SP, Saiganova VS. Basic Paradigms of Modern Philosophy of Science and the Peculiarity of Medicine. V: M-vo zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus', UO «Viteb gos ordena Druzhby narodov med un-t»; [Shchastnyi AT, red; Sushkov SA, zam red; Adaskevich VP, i dr, red. sovet]. Dostizheniia fundamental'noi, klinicheskoi meditsiny i farmatsii: materialy 73-i nauch ses VGMU, 29–30 ianv 2018 g: v 2 ch. Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2018. Ch 2. Р. 717-9. (In Russ.)
4. Gerberg AA, Shulmin AV, Timofeeva AP. Ethical Aspects of Medical Workers' Interaction with Cancer Patients and their Relatives. V: M-vo zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus', UO «Viteb gos ordena Druzhby narodov med un-t»; [Shchastnyi AT, red; Sushkov SA, zam red; Adaskevich VP, i dr, red sovet]. Dostizheniia fundamental'noi, klinicheskoi meditsiny i farmatsii: materialy 75-i nauch ses VGMU (29–30 ianv 2020 g.). Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2020. Р. 578-80. (In Russ.)
5. Korolev MG. Development of competencies of medical students in a contextual learning environment. V: M-vo zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus', UO «Viteb gos ordena Druzhby narodov med un-t»; [Shchastnyi AT, gl red; Konevalova NIu, i dr, redkol]. Meditsinskoe obrazovanie XXI veka: kompetentnostnyi podkhod i ego realizatsiia v sisteme nepreryvnogo meditsinskogo i farmatsevticheskogo obrazovaniia: sb materialov Resp nauch-prakt konf s mezhdunar uchastiem, 15 dek 2017 g. Vitebsk, RB; 2017. Р. 552-5. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Shulmin A.V. ‒ Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Management and Marketing of Pharmacy, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University,
Gerberg A.A. ‒ senior lecturer of the Chair of Public Health & Health Service with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University,
Tikhonova N.V. ‒ Сandidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Public Health & Health Service, Krasnoyarsk State Medical University named after Professor V.F. Voino-Yasenetsky.