Setkina S.B., Khishova O.M.
Biopharmaceutical aspects of drugs technology and the ways of bioavailability modification
This review submits brief characteristics of the main biopharmaceutical factors affecting drugs bioavailability and the directions of their changing with the purpose of bioavailability modification. The review includes the description of several regularities that help to make the evaluation of biopharmaceutical parameters modifying key biopharmaceutical properties of the ready to use drugs and determining active ingredient absorption from the dosage form. The aim of the review was to define the most important biopharmaceutical factors that could affect active ingredient absorption up to the clinically relevant extent. On the basis of the evaluation of the direction of the biopharmaceutical factors modifying effect the groups of drugs have been identified, in which the changes of biopharmaceutical properties can lead to significant differences in their efficacy and safety profile.
Key words: biopharmaceutical factors, bioavailability, physicochemical factors, excipients, manufacturing process.
1. Aulton EM. Aulton’s Pharmaceutics: the Design and Manufacturing of Medicines. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. 717 p.
2. Amidon GL, Lennernäs H, Shah VP, Crison JR. Theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutical drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharm Res. 1995 Mar;12(3):413-20.
3. Krishna R, ed. Lawrence Yu, ed. Biopharmaceutical Application in Drug Development. Springer, 2008. 396 p.
4. Gilbert S. Banker, ed. Christopher T. Rhodes, ed. Modern Pharmaceutics. New York: Marcel Dekker; 2002. 825 p.
5. Aulton ME. Pharmaceutics: the science of dosage form design. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2003. 682 p.
6. Waterbeemd H, ed. Testa B, ed. Drug bioavailability: estimation of solubility, permeation, absorption and bioavailability. Wiley-VCH; 2003. 649 p.
7. Florence AT, ed. Attwood D, ed. Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy. Pharmaceutical Press; 2011. 492 p.
8. Tian F, Zeitler JA, Strachan CJ, Saville DJ, Gordon KC, Rades T. Characterizing the conversion kinetics of carbamazepine polymorphs to the dihydrate in aqueous suspension using Raman spectroscopy. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006 Feb;40(2):271-80.
9. Snider AD, Addicks W, Owens W. Polymorphism in generic drug product development. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2004 Feb;56(3):391-5.
10. Morissette SL, Soukasene S, Levinson D, Cima MJ, lmarsson Ö. Elucidation of crystal form diversity of the HIV protease inhibitor ritonavir by high-throughput crystallization. PNAS. 2003 Mar;100(5):2180-4.
11. Richards RM, Xing JZ, Mackay KM. Excipients interaction with cetylpyridinium chloride activity in tablet based lozenges. Pharm Res. 1996 Aug;13(8):1258-64.
12. Bharate SS, Bharate SB, Bajaj AN. Interactions and incompatibilities of pharmaceutical ingredients with active pharmaceutical ingredients: a comprehensive review. J. Excipients and Food Chem. 2010 Nov;1(3):3-26.