Shakavets N.V.1, Likhorad Y.V.1, Zhernasek N.A.2, Shabunya Р.S.3
The state of dental hard tissues and physicochemical properties of the saliva in children with phenylketonuria
1Belarussian State Medical University, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
2Joint Venture «NORDIN» Ltd. Medical Center, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
3Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Belarusian National Academy of Sciences, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(6):85-91.
Objectives. To assess the status of teeth and some laboratory parameters of the saliva in children with phenylketonuria, to analyze the mineral composition of the tooth enamel and saliva in this category of patients.
Material and methods. The incidence of tooth decay, the physicochemical properties of the saliva (pH, buffer capacity, the concentration of calcium and phosphorus), the mineral composition of the enamel as well as the state of the immune system of the oral cavity were evaluated in 97 children with phenylketonuria and 97 practically healthy children aged from 2 to 18 years. The data were analyzed by means of the program Statistica 10.0 using the χ2-test and the t- Student test.
Results. The state of dental hard tissues as well as physicochemical properties of the saliva were significantly worse in children with phenylketonuria than in practically healthy children.
Conclusions. A complex of individualized preventive measures aimed at the increase of the enamel caries resistance and the improvement of the condition of periodontal tissues is needed for children with phenylketonuria, which should be started at their pre-school age.
Key words: dental caries, saliva, pH, buffer capacity, immunoglobulins, phenylketonuria.
1. Rusakova EYu, Bessonova SI, Bevz AA. Dental status in children with various somatic diseases. Ros Stomatol Zhurn. 2008;(3):60-2. (In Russ.)
2. Nakhjavani YB, Bayramy A. The dental and oral status of children with chronic renal failure. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2007 Mar;25(1):7-9.
3. Gupta M, Gupta M, Abhishek. Oral conditions in renal disorders and treatment considerations – A review for pediatric dentist. Saudi Dent J. 2015 Jul;27(3):113-9. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2014.11.014
4. Swapna LA, Reddy RS, Ramesh T, Reddy RL, Vijayalaxmi N, Karmakar P, et al. Oral health status in haemodialysis14 patients. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013 Sep;7(9):2047-50. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2013/5813.3402
5. Goryachko AN. Modern approaches to treatment of a fenilketonuriya and leucinosis (illness of maple syrup): ucheb-metod posobie. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2011. 26 р. (In Russ.)
6. Bushueva TV, Borovik TE. The modern principles of the organization of clinical nutrition at children of different age with a fenilketonuriya. Vopr Sovremen Pediatrii. 2010;9(2):124-9.(In Russ.)
7. Kozlowski BW, Powell JA. Position of the American Dietetic Association: nutrition services for children with special health needs. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul;95(7):809-14.
8. Touger-Decker R, Mobley CC. Position of the American Dietetic Association: oral health and nutrition. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 May;103(5):615-25. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/jada.2003.50130
9. Leont'yev VK, Distel' VA. Method of studying of solubility of an enamel of teeth during lifetime: metod. pis'mo. Omsk, RF; 1975. 8 р. (In Russ.)
10. Aoyama KI, Okino Y, Yamazaki H, Kojima R, Uchibori M, Nakanishi Y, et al. Saliva pH affects the sweetness sense. Nutrition. 2017 Mar;35:51-55. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2016.10.018
11. Ide M, Saruta J, To M, Yamamoto Y, Sugimoto M, Fuchida S, et al. Relationship between salivary immunoglobulin a, lactoferrin and lysozyme flow rates and lifestyle factors in Japanese children: a cross-sectional study. Acta Odontol Scand. 2016 Oct;74(7):576-583. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00016357.2016.1223340
Information about authors:
Shakavets N.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian State Medical University;
Likhorad Y.V. – lecturer of the Chair of the Chair of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian State Medical University;
Zhernasek N.A. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, head of the Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory, Joint Venture «NORDIN» Ltd. Medical Center;
Shabunya Р.S. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, leading research officer of the Physical and Chemical Research Methods Laboratory, Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Belarusian National Academy of Sciences.