Kozin V.M., Kozina Y.V.
The diagnosing of scarring erythematosis
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2018;17(5):137-141.
Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), scarring erythematosis (SE) is a chronic sluggish skin disease characterized by sharply outlined scaly red and cicatricial foci on the open areas of the skin. In 5% of patients with a primary diagnosis of SE systemic lupus erythematosus can develop later. SE manifests itself in the form of raised plaques of reddish color up to a few centimeters in diameter with tightly seated scales, expressed by follicular corks in the form of spinules.
In addition to the face, lesions can be formed on the auricles, in the temporal part of the head and other areas. The foci are resolved by atrophy with the presence of pigmentation around them. Hair follicles on the scalp are destroyed, which leads to cicatrical alopecia. A clinical case with a patient of 37 years old with a diagnosis of «Discoid lupus erythematosus. Cicatrical alopecia of the scalp» illustrates the difficulties of diagnosis, since similar lesions of the scalp may occur in case of other dermatoses. The presence of discoid foci on the face and pathomorphological examination of scarring foci on the scalp confirm the diagnosis.
When cicatrical alopecia is detected in a patient it confirms the made diagnosis of SE, including pathomorphology and dermatoscopy for the verification of the diagnosis.
Key words: cicatrical alopecia, erythematosis, diagnosing, pathomorphology, dermatoscopy.
1. Skripkin YuK, Sharapova GYa. Skin and venereal diseases: ucheb posobie dlia pediatr fak med in-tov. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1980. 319 р. (In Russ.)
2. Bouling Dzh; Kubanova AA, red. Diagnostic dermatoscopy: illiustrir ruk: per s angl. Moscow, RF: Izd-vo Panfilova: BINOM Lab znanii; 2013. 160 р. (In Russ.)
3. Anton’yev AA, Babayants RS, Berenbeyn BA; Studnitsin AA, red. Differential diagnosis of skin diseases. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1983. 560 р. (In Russ.)
4. Khebif TP; Kubanova AA, red. Skin disease. Diagnosis and treatment: per s angl. Moscow, RF: Medpress-inform; 2006. 671 р. (In Russ.)
5. Fitspatrik T, Dzhonson R, Vulf K, Polano M, Syurmon DD. Dermatology: atlas-sprav: per s angl. Moscow, RF: Praktika; 1999. 1044 р. (In Russ.)
6. Adaskevich VP. Diagnostic indices in dermatology. Moscow, RF: Izd-vo Panfilova: BINOM; 2014. 343 р. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Kozin V.M. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Dermatovenerology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Kozina Y.V. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Dermatovenerology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.