Laptieva L.N.1, Rublevskaya E.I.2, Divakova T.S.3, Loban D.S.4
The role of professional and social-personal qualities in the practical activity of medical workers with specialized secondary education
1Polessky State University, Brest, Republic of Belarus
2Gomel Regional Clinical Dermatovenerologic Dispensary, Gomel, Republic of Belarus
3Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
4Gomel State Medical University, Gomel, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2019;18(1):92-98.
The success of professional activity and professional adaptation of medical workers is determined not only by the availability of professional knowledge and skills, but also by the ability to realize this knowledge and skills in their practical activities at the expense of developing professional and personal qualities. Teachers and students of medical college attach great importance to the availability and diversity of professional qualities in the activities of a specialist in comparison with the staff members of health care institutions.
Objectives. To assess the role of professional and social-personal qualities in the practical activity of medical workers with specialized secondary education and for future practical work in the opinion of final-year students of the medical college.
Material and methods. A survey of 335 persons: 202 medical workers with specialized secondary education, 31 medical college teachers, 102 students of the medical college was conducted. Respondents were asked to assess in accordance with the degree of their significance 11 professional and social-personal qualities and parameters in the practice of medical workers from «0» to «2» points. The statistical analysis of the data obtained was made with the help of «Statistica 6.0» program.
Results. Such parameters as «health status» and «performance» have been recognized as the most important professional qualities by the respondents. In the judgement of the teachers the following qualities: «memory», «motor properties», «strong will», «attention», «verbal abilities», «communicative skills» are also very important for the medical workers in order to be successful. Students of the speciality «General medicine», in addition to universal professional qualities, gave preference to such characteristics as «thinking», «organizational skills», «strong-will», «verbal abilities», future nurses gave priority to the characteristic «motor properties» (the ability to quickly perform certain manipulations).
Conclusions. The development of health workers’ professional and social-personal qualities during their study in medical colleges and taking them into account while getting job appointment by them are one of the factors of long-term stay in the work place and high efficiency of their work.
Key words: professional and social-personal qualities, efficiency of working activity, worker with secondary medical education, medical college.
1. Kukharchuk AM, Lyakh VV, Shirokova AB. The man and his profession. Minsk, RB: Sovrem slovo; 2006. 544 р. (In Russ.)
2. Laptieva LN, Rublevskaya EI, Divakova TS. The problem of professional adaptation of medical college graduates and the prospects of its solution. Med Novosti. 2013;(11):48-51. (In Russ.)
3. Karpov AV, red. General psychology: uchebnik. Moscow, RF: Gardariki; 2005. 232 р. (In Russ.)
4. Shadrikov VD. Professional ability. Moscow. RF: Univ kniga; 2010. 320 р. (In Russ.)
5. Klimov EA. Psychology of professional self-determination: ucheb posobie dlia studentov vyssh ped ucheb zavedenii. Moscow, RF: Akademiia; 2004. 304 р. (In Russ.)
6. Grigor'yeva MV. Work psychology: konspekt lektsii. Moscow, RF: Vyssh obrazovanie; 2006. 192 р.(In Russ.)
7. Rowson R. An introduction to ethics for nurses. Harrow: Scutari Press; 1990.
8. United Kingdom Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting. Code of professional conduct for the nurse, midwife and health visitor. 3rd ed. London: UKCC; 1992.
9. Vitovskaya GN, Rublevskaya EI. Development of personal qualities of students of medical college as a basis for professional activity. V: Sovremennye problemy obshchestvennogo zdorov'ia i zdravookhraneniia: sb materialov nauch-prakt konf s mezhdunar uchastiem, 21 okt 2016 g. Grodno, RB: GrGMU; 2016. Р. 29-32. (In Russ.)
10. Vasil'yeva LA. Competent model of a medical college graduate. V: Problemy i perspektivy razvitiia obrazovaniia: materialy Mezhdunar zaoch nauch konf, Perm', apr 2011 g. Perm', RF: Merkurii; 2011. Т 2. Р. 7-9. (In Russ.)
11. Laptieva LN, Rublevskaya EI, Divakova TS, Ampilova NV. Dynamics of communication skills of medical college graduates in the course of professional adaptation. Med Novosti. 2014;(11):91-95. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Laptieva L.N. – Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Health-Improvement & Adaptation Physical Training, Polessky State University;
Rublevskaya E.I. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, head doctor of Gomel Regional Clinical Dermatovenerologic Dispenensary;
Divakova T.S. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Obstetrics & Gynecology of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Loban D.S. – the third-year medical student, Gomel State Medical University.