Vernigorova M.N., Buzuk G.N.
Сhromatodensitometric study of the common lingonberry leaves (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.)
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2019;18(5):107-113.
The leaves of common lingonberry harvested in the places of its natural growth in the vicinity of the city of Vitebsk of the Republic of Belarus have been analyzed using the chromatodensitometric method. The conditions of the chromatodensitometric method use for determining arbutin in the common lingonberry leaves have been studied. The solvent system, the concentration of the reagent- developer (Gibbs reagent) for the chromatodensitometric method used to determine arbutin in the common lingonberry leaves have been selected. The character of the dependence of the colorimetric characteristics of arbutin spots on its quantity in the chromatographic zone has been studied. A linear dependence of the colorimetric characteristics of arbutin zones on its quantity in the chromatographic zone has been revealed. The chromatodensitometric method of the determination of arbutin in the common lingonberry leaves has been compared to that of HPLC. It has been established that the HPLC results are comparable with those obtained by means of the chromatodensitometric method of determining arbutin in the common lingonberry leaves, which gives grounds to conclude that the chromatodensitometric method is rather accurate and may be used for the quantitative and qualitative determination of arbutin in the common lingonberry leaves. Various conditions for the extraction of arbutin from the leaves of common lingonberry have been studied. The graphs of the dependence of the completeness of the common lingonberry leaves arbutin extraction under various extraction conditions have been constructed. Optimal conditions for the extraction of arbutin have been selected (the degree of crushing the lingonberry leaves – 2 mm, extraction time – 40 minutes, the extractant – water).
Key words: Vaccinium vitis-idaea L., common lingonberry, arbutin, leaves, HPLC, chromatodensitometric method, chromatographic zone, chromatogram, colorimetric characteristics, extraction conditions, grinding, extraction time, extractant, Gibbs reagent, spot area, pixels, linear dependence, quantitative determination, qualitative determination.
1. Fedoseeva LM. Analysis of Arbutin and Aboveground Vegetative Organs of Badan Heavy Plate (Bergenia crassifolia(L.) Fitsch.) growing in Altai. Khimiia Rast Syr’ia. 2003;(1):73-7. (In Russ.)
2. Kittipongpatana N, Chaiwan A, Pusod U, Kittipongpatana OS. High-perfomance liquid chromatographic method of separation and quantitative analysis of arbutin in plant tissue cultures. CMU J Nat Sci. 2007;6(1):65-74.
3. Lubsandorzhieva PB, Zhigitov BS, Dargaeva TD. Chromatospectrophotometric determination of arbutin in the leaves of Bergenia crassifolia (L.) Fitsch. Khim-farmatsevt Zhurn. 2000;34(5):14-6. (In Russ.)
4. Mazulin AV, Kaloshina NA, Denisenko ON. Method of quantitative determination of arbutin in medicinal herbal raw materials: as 1582090 SSSR, MKI G 01 N 21/33. № 4433849/29; zaiavl 31.05.88; opubl 30.07.90, Biul № 28. (In Russ.)
5. Cowberry leaves. M-vo zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus’, RUP «Tsentr ekspertiz i ispytanii v zdravookhranenii». Gosudarstvennaia farmakopeia Respubliki Belarus’: (GF RB II). T 2: Kontrol’ kachestva substantsii dlia farmatsevticheskogo ispol’zovaniia i lekarstvennogo rastitel’nogo syr’ia. Molodechno, RB: Pobeda; 2016. Р. 1200-1. (In Russ.)
6. Vernigorova MN, Buzuk GN. Determination of routine in black elderberry flowers (Sambucus nigra L.) by chromatodensitometric method. Vestnik Farmatsii. 2014;(4):43-9. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Vernigorova M.N. – senior lecturer of the Chair of Pharmacognosy with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Buzuk G.N. – Doctor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Pharmacognosy with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.