The influence of Trichinella spiralis on the structure and immunohistochemical parameters of experimental glioma tissues and some organs of rats
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2019;18(5):53-58.
Objectives. To determine the influence of Trichinella spiralis invasion in the dose of 10 larvae per 1 g of animal body weight on immunohistochemical parameters in the tissues of experimental glioma of rats in different periods of observation.
Material and methods. Female rats of the Wistar line were used in the experiment. In animals of the first series of the experiment (groups 1-4) the experimental model of C6 rat glioma development in situ was simulated. Rats of the second series of the experiment (groups 5-8) with modelled rat glioma were infected with T. spiralis in the dose of 10 larvae per 1 g of animal body weight. In animals of all groups on the 14th, 21st, 28th, 35th days of tumor development in tumor material macroscopic, histological and immunohistochemical studies were performed (glial fibrillar acid protein (GFAP), S 100 expression were determined, Ki-67 proliferative activity index was calculated).
Results. It has been found that the invasion of T. spiralis in the dose of 10 larvae per 1 g of animal body weight 3.08 and 3.8 times respectively increases GFAP expression in bioptates of tumor tissue of rat glioma C6 in situ by the 21st and the 28th days after infection; the expression of S 100 by the 7th day of invasion development – 3 times, by the 14th day of invasion – 2.64 times, by the 21st day after infection – 3.07 times, by the 28th day – 4.9 times; the index of proliferative activity Ki 67 by the 7th day of the invasion – 2.02 times, by the 14th day – 1.69 times, by the 21st day after infection – 3 times, and by the 28th day – 4.3 times.
Metastatic foci of low-grade glioma have been revealed in the lungs of rats on the 28th day of Trichinella development. In lung tissue samples, GFAP expression by the 28th day was estimated to be 1+ (11%; 95% CI : 110.21-139.88; IRS=4). The expression of S 100 in the same samples was at the level of 1+ (15%; 95% CI : 123.27-132.12; IRS=4), and proliferative activity of the tumor (Ki-67) made up 40% (95% CI : 299.44-455.68).
The expression of proteins S 100, GFAP, proliferative activity index Ki-67 in animals infected with T. spiralis was significantly higher than that in the groups with «pure» glioma in almost all periods of observation. On the 28th day after infection (35th the day of glioma growth) metastatic foci of glioma were found in the lungs.
Key words: rat, glioma, immunohistochemical parameters, GFAP, S 100, Ki-67, Trichinella spiralis.
1. Malyutina TA. Relationships in the parasite-host system: biochemical and physiological aspects of adaptation (retrospective review). Ros Parazitol Zhurn. 2008;(1):24-40. (In Russ.)
2. Pashinskaya ES, Pobyarzhin VV, Bekish LE; M-vo obrazovaniia Respubliki Belarus', UO Vitebskii gos ordena Druzhby narodov med un-t. Biogenetic aspects of parasitization of trichinella in mammals. Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2016. 200 р. (In Russ.)
3. Hopkin J. Immune and genetic aspects of asthma allergy and parasitic worm infections evolutionary links. Parasite Immunol. 2009 May;31(5):267-73. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3024.2009.01104.x
4. Nadyrov EA, Rogov YuI, Dubrovskiy ACh, Voropaev EV, Achinovich SL, Krylov AYu, i dr. Immunohistochemical methods for the study of neoplasms of various origins: instruktsiia po primeneniiu № 160-1110: utv. M-vom obrazovaniia Respubliki Belarus' 11 fevr 2011 g. Gomel, RB; 2011. 20 р. (In Russ.)
5. Bekish O-YaL, Burak II, Ostreyko NN; Viteb med in-t. Experimental Trichinosis: Model Reproduction Techniques. Vitebsk, RB; 1982. 20 r. Dep v VNIIMI 20.09.82, № D -5592. (In Russ.)
6. Sapozhnikov AG, Dorosevich AE. Histological and microscopic technique: rukovodstvo. Smolensk, RF: SAU; 2000. 476 р. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Pabiarzhyn V.V. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, associate professor, doctoral candidate of the Chair of Infectious Diseases, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.