Kolbasova E.A., Kiseleva N.I., Arestova I.M.
Comparative clinical and hormonal characteristic of health status and life quality of women with surgical and natural menopause
Objectives. To make a comparative clinical and laboratory evaluation of the health status of women with surgical and natural menopause and explore their life quality.
Material and methods. The study included 213 perimenopausal women: 98 women with surgical menopause (I group), 75 women with natural menopause (II group), 40 women at late reproductive and premenopausal age (control group). The severity of menopausal syndrome (modified menopausal Kupperman-Uvarova index), quality of life (SF-36 questionnaire), the severity of depression (Beck Depression Inventory), hormone levels (radioimmunoassay) were determined.
Results. The mild climacteric syndrome was detected in 34,7% of female patients with surgical menopause and 56,0% of women with natural menopause; the moderate climacteric syndrome - in 56,1% and 40% of female patients; severe climacteric syndrome - in 9,2% and 4% of women, respectively. The symptoms of depression were observed in 83,7% of patients of the first group, in 70,7% of patients of the second group and in 15,0% of women of the control group. Life quality of the women in Group I was by 9,2% lower than that of women in Group II (p<0,01) and by 23,5% lower than that of women in the control group (p<0,001). In surgically menopausal women FSH and LH content 8,7 times and 6,2 times exceeded the indices of the control group; in women with natural menopause - 7,8 times and 5,4 times, respectively (p<0,001). Estradiol and progesterone content in women of the first group was by 18,2% and 27,8%, respectively, lower than that of the second group and was statistically significantly different from that of the control group (p<0,001).
Conclusions. In patients after bilateral ovariectomy compared to those with natural menopause we revealed a more pronounced deficiency of sex hormones, manifested in the rising levels of FSH and LH and simultaneously reducing levels of estradiol, progesterone, more severe menopausal symptoms, depressive disorders, decreased physical and social activity, emotional status and general health status.
Key words: postmenopause, quality of life, modified menopausal index, depression, hormones.
1. Vikhliaeva EM. Postmenopauzal'naia terapiia. Vliianie na sviazannye s menopauzoi simptomy, techenie khronicheskikh zabolevanii i kachestvo zhizni [Postmenopausal therapy. Effect on the symptoms associated with menopause, for chronic diseases and quality of life]. Moscow, RF: MEDpress-inform; 2008. 448 р.
2. Zanko YuV. Sovremennyi vzgliad na problemy khirurgicheskoi menopauzy [Modern view of the problems of surgical menopause]. Okhrana materinstva i detstva. 2003–2004;(4–5):172–6.
3. Freeman EW, Sammel MD, Lin H. Temporal associations of hot flashes and depression in the transition to menopause. Menopause. 2009 Jul-Aug;16(4):728-34.
4. Apetov SS, Kalinchenko SYu. Vliianie defitsita polovykh gormonov i ego korrektsii na zabolevaemost' i kachestvo zhizni u patsientok s khirurgicheskoi menopauzoi [Influence of sex hormones deficiency and its correction on morbidity and quality of life in patients with surgical menopause]. Voprosy ginekologii, akusherstva i perinatologii. 2012;11(5):72–8.
5. Zaidieva IaZ. Gormonal'naia terapiia v klimakterii: rekomendatsii dlia klinicheskoi praktiki [Hormone replacement therapy in menopause: recommendations for clinical practice]. Ginekologiia. 2011;13(3):8–12.
6. Babichev VN. Neiroendokrinologiia reproduktivnoi sistemy: (sostoianie fiziologicheskikh issledovanii i perspektivy ikh primeneniia v klinicheskoi praktike) [Neuroendocrinology reproductive system: a state of physiological studies and prospects for their use in clinical practice]. Problemy endokrinologii. 1998;44(1):3–12.
7. Mozheiko LF, Savochkina YuV. Diagnostika i lechenie sistemnykh narushenii pri khirurgicheskoi menopauze [Diagnosis and treatment of systemic disorders with surgical menopause]. Retsept. 2005;(2):136–43.
8. Savochkina YuV, Mozheiko LF. Diagnostika i lechenie sistemnykh narushenii pri khirurgicheskoi menopauze [Diagnosis and treatment of systemic disorders with surgical menopause]: instruktsiia po primeneniiu № 2–0105, utv. M-vom zdravookhraneniia Resp. Belarus' 12.01.2005. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2005. 15 р.
9. Brimkulov NN, Senkevich NYu, Kalieva AD. Primenenie oprosnika SF-36 dlia otsenki kachestva zhizni [Application of the SF-36 Quality of Life]. Tsentral'no-aziatskii meditsinskii zhurnal. 1998;(4–5):236–41.
10. Yelchinov DV, Akker LV, Smagina IV, Gridina AO. Psikhosomaticheskie rasstroistva i kachestvo zhizni u zhenshchin s klimaktericheskim sindromom v period rannei postmenopauzy [Psychosomatic disorders and quality of life in women with climacteric syndrome in early postmenopausal period]. Sibirskoe meditsinskoe obozrenie. 2010;(1):47–50.
11. Lasovskaia TYu, Iaichnikov SV, Ponomarenko IV, Zhovner IV, Egorova OA, Artiushina MA, Lermontov PA. Validizatsiia oprosnika dlia diagnostiki pogranichnogo lichnostnogo rasstroistva: opredelenie konstruktnoi validnosti [Validation of a questionnaire for the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder: definition of the construct validity]. [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennye nauchnye issledovaniia [elektronnyi zhurnal]. 2012;(6):9–12. Rezhim dostupa: http://wvvw.uecs.ru
12. Beck AT, Beamesderfer A. Assessment of depression: the depression inventory. Mod Probl Pharmacopsychiatry. 1974;(7):151-69.