Kirpichenko A.A.*, Baryshev A.N.**
Suicide risk among the adolescent population of Vitebsk
*Education establishment "Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University", Belarus
**Health Service Establishment «Vitebsk Regional Psycho Neurological Centre», Belarus
The suicide rate among the adolescent population is an unstable indicator and has significant variations depending on the region, economic situation, demographic and other factors. For the organization of suicidal behaviour prevention in a specific region it is very important to use the data obtained as a result of the study of the population in the same region. Therefore, the following purpose of the research has been chosen: to assess the level of suicide risk and to study the prevalence of major psychological risk factors of suicidal behaviour, such as hopelessness and anxiety among the teen-age population of Vitebsk. Psychological sampling of 282 adolescents aged from 15 to 18 residing in Vitebsk was conducted. The study included 119 boys and 163 girls. The following psychodiagnostic methods were used: suicide risk questionnaire (Kucher A.A., Kostyukevich V.P., 2001); the study of psychoemotional state: «Hopelessness Scale» (Beck et al., 1974), the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) (Spielberger С.D., Khanin Y.L.). The survey was carried out anonymously. Class managers, psychologists, social pedagogues of Vitebsk educational institutions (school №2, school №14, school №25, school №40, gymnasium №1, gymnasium №3) took part in the study. All teen-agers of the specified above educational establishments, who gave their voluntary and informed consent to participate in an anonymous psychological research were tested.
The results of the present study enabled us to determine the level of suicide risk among the adolescent population of Vitebsk. The obtained information can be used as a guide for designing and implementing programs of the suicidal behaviour prevention both among patients of psychiatric and substance abuse services and among the adolescent population as a whole.
Key words: parasuicide, suicide, risk of suicide, adolescents.
1. Ob utverzhdenii Natsional'nogo plana deistvii po uluchsheniiu polozheniia detei i okhrane ikh prav na 2012–2016 gody [About the approval of the National plan of action on improvement of position of children and protection of their rights for 2012-2016]: postanovlenie soveta ministrov Respubliki Belarus' 12 marta 2012 g. № 218. Natsional'nyi reestr pravovykh aktov Respubliki Belarus'. 2012;(34): 42-54.
2. Preventing suicide: a global imperative. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. 96 р.
3. Natsional'nyi statisticheskii komitet Respubliki Belarus'. Statisticheskii ezhegodnik Respubliki Belarus' 2013 [Statistical year-book of Republic of Belarus 2013]. Minsk, RB; 2013. 578 р.
4. Gutierrez PM, Osman A, Kopper BA, Barrios FX. Why young people do not kill themselves: the reasons for living inventory for adolescents. J Clin Child Psychol. 2000 Jun;29(2):177-87.
5. Phillips MR, Li X, Zhang Y. Suicide rates in China, 1995–99. Lancet. 2002 Mar;359(9309):835-40.
6. Rohtash S, Hardeep LJ. Suicidal Ideation in Relation to Depression, Life Stress and Personality among College Students. J Indian Acad Appl Psychol. 2008 Jul;34(2):259-65.
7. Yen S, Shea MT, Pagano M, Sanislow CA, Grilo CM, McGlashan TH, Skodol AE, Bender DS, Zanarini MC, Gunderson JG, Morey LC. Axis I and axis II disorders as predictors of prospective suicide attempts: findings from the collaborative longitudinal personality disorders study. J Abnorm Psychol. 2003 Aug;112(3):375-81.
8. Beck AT, Steer RA. Manual for the Beck Hopelessness Scale. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation; 1993.
9. Malik S, Kanwar A, Sim LA, Prokop LJ, Wang Z1, Benkhadra K, Murad MH. The association between sleep disturbances and suicidal behaviors in patients with psychiatric diagnoses: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Syst Rev. 2014 Feb;3:18.
10. Davidson CL, Wingate LR, Grant DM, Judah MR, Mills AC. Interpersonal Suicide Risk and Ideation: The Influence of Depression and Social Anxiety. J Soc Clin Psychol. 2011 Oct;30(8):842-55.
11. Parovaya OI. Epidemiologiia suitsidal'nogo povedeniia – gendernye razlichiia: obzor literatury i situatsiia v Respublike Belarus' [Epidemiology of suicidal behavior – gender differences: the review of literature and a situation in Republic of Belarus]. Psikhiatriia. Psikhoterapiia i klinicheskaia psikhologiia. 2011;(2):93-104.
12. Kucher AA, Kostiukevich VP. Vyiavlenie suitsidal'nogo riska u detei [Identification of suicidal risk at children]. Vestnik psikhosotsial'noi i korrektsionno-reabilitatsionnoi raboty. 2001;(3):32-9.
13. Beck AT, Steer RA, Kovacs M, Garrison B. Hopelessness and eventual suicide: a 10-year prospective study of patients hospitalized with suicidal ideation. Am J Psychiatry. 1985 May;142(5):559-63.
14. Issledovanie trevozhnosti (ChD Spilberger, adaptatsiia YuL Khanin) [A study of anxiety (Spielberger BH, adaptation YL Hanin)]. V: Dermanova IB, red, sost. Diagnostika emotsional'no-nravstvennogo razvitiia. Saint-Petersburg, RF; 2002. р. 124-126.