Yorshik O.A., Buzuk G.N.
Antiviral activity of proanthocyanidins of Comarum palustre L. and Thuja occidentalis L.
Education Establishment "Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University", Republic of Belarus
The conditions for assessing the viability of bovine kidney cells using the test with 3,4,5-dimethylthiazole-2-ilo-2,5-diphenyltetrazole (MTT) have been optimized. The antiviral activity of proanthocyanidins of Comarum palustre L., Thuja occidentalis L. and the derived and purified amounts of proanthocyanidins has been investigated. Proanthocyanidins have been found to possess the antiviral activity in vitro according to preventive and curative scheme. The positive effect of proanthocyanidins of the rhizomes and roots of Comarum palustre L. and cones of Thuja occidentalis L. has been determined in the test of MTT cells recovery which indicates the cellular mechanism of the antiviral effect expressed in the strengthening of cells resistance to the cytopathic effect of the virus. Thus, the main group of biologically active substances due to which the rhizomes with roots of Comarum palustre L. and cones of Thuja occidentalis L. possess antiviral activity are proanthocyanidins.
Under the influence of extracts of the rhizomes and roots of Comarum palustre L., proanthocyanidins and cones of Thuja occidentalis L. on the cells in the zone of the low and high dilutions of the virus the statistically significant (P<0,05) increase of the optical density in comparison with the control was observed, which indicates their antiviral activity according to the «prophylactic» scheme.
In the zone of low dilutions of the virus the statistically significant (P<0,05) increase of the optical density is observed under the influence of extracts of the rhizomes and roots of Comarum palustre L., proanthocyanidins and cones of Thuja occidentalis L. which indicates their antiviral activity according to the «therapeutic» scheme.
Key words: Comarum palustre L., Thuja occidentalis L., proanthocyanidins, MTT, antiviral activity.
1. Bagchi D, Bagchi M, tohs SJ, Das DK, Ray SD, Kuszynski CA, Joshi SS, Pruess HG. Free radicals and grape seed proanthocyanidin extract: importance in human health and disease prevention. Toxicology. 2000 Aug 7;148(2-3):187-97.
2. Ershik OA, Buzuk GN. Antioksidantnaia aktivnost' sabel'nika bolotnogo Comarum palustre L. [Antioxidatic activity of a sabelnik of marsh Comarum palustre L.]. Vestnik farmatsii. 2013;(3):81-5.
3. Bagchi D, Bagchi M, Stohs Sj, Ray SD, Sen CK, Preuss HG. Cellular protection with proanthocyanidins derived from grape seeds. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 May;957:260-70.
4. Ye X, Krohn RL, Liu W, Joshi SS, Kuszynski CA, McGinn TR, Bagchi M, Preuss HG, Stohs SJ, Bagchi D. The cytotoxic effects of a novel IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract on cultured human cancer cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 1999 Jun;196(1-2):99-108.
5. Sovak M. Grape Extract, Resveratrol, and Its Analogs: A Review. J Med Food. 2001;4(2):93-105.
6. Garbacki N, Tits M, Angenot L, Damas J. Inhibitory effects of proanthocyanidins from Ribes nigrum leaves on carrageenin acute inflammatory reactions induced in rats. BMC Pharmacol. 2004 Oct;4:25.
7. Garbacki N, Angenot L, Bassleer C, Damas J, Tits M. Effects of prodelphinidins isolated from Ribes nigrum on chondrocyte metabolism and COX activity. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2002 Jun;365(6):434-41.
8. Ershik OA, Buzuk GN, Korobov GD. Izuchenie protivovospalitel'noi aktivnosti proantotsianidinov kornevishch s korniami sabel'nika bolotnogo Comarum palustre L. [Studying of antiinflammatory activity of proantotsianidin of rhizomes with roots of a sabelnik of marsh Comarum palustre L.]. Vestnik VGMU. 2008;7(2):151-8.
9. Cherepovich VS, Volochnik EV, Antonenko EV, Lotkova ES, Romanovskaya TV, Grinev VV. Optimizatsiia kriticheskikh parametrov MTT-testa dlia otsenki kletochnoi i lekarstvennoi tsitotoksichnosti [Optimization of critical parameters of MTT-dough for an assessment of cellular and medicinal cytotoxicity]. Belorusskii meditsinskii zhurnal. 2006;(2):106-8.
10. Shpakova AP, Pavlova KS, Bulycheva TI. MTT-kolorimetricheskii metod opredeleniia tsitotoksicheskoi aktivnosti estestvennykh killernykh kletok [MTT-kolorimetrichesky method of determination of cytotoxic activity natural killernykh of cells]. Klinicheskaia laboratornaia diagnostika. 2000;(2):20-3.
11. Niks M, Otto M. Towards an optimized MTT assay. J Immunol Methods. 1990 Jun;130(1):149-51.