Sokolov S.M., Shevchuk L.M., Gankin A.N., Poznyak I.S.
On the question of health risk assessment of the polluted atmospheric air in the population
Scientific-Practical Centre of Hygiene, Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To determine the population health gradation depending on the degree of atmospheric air pollution and the levels of health risk.
Material and methods. According to a specially designed observations program the health status of the exposed population with the diseases of critical organs (systems) of the human body taken into account was studied. Hygienic assessment of the degree of danger of atmospheric air pollution in the simultaneous presence of several chemical pollutants was carried out according to the size of total pollution index «P». Health risk assessment of chemicals polluting the atmospheric air was made in accordance with the normative legitimate acts in force.
Results. The gradation of the population health risk, depending on the degree of atmospheric air pollution and the levels of health risk has been developed. The graduation of the degree of atmospheric air pollution is consistent with the expected level of health. Thus, this quantitative criterion of a very strong contamination corresponds to the adaptation failure effect.
Conclusions. The degree of chemical pollutants risk to public health is an integral hygienic criterion which justifies the reliability of air protection measures aimed at the protection of the population from harmful emissions into the atmosphere. It seems expedient to assess the health of the population not on the basis of the pathologies prevalence, but according to the risk of disease development.
Key words: atmospheric air, pollutants, population health, morbidity, health risk.
1. Germanovich FA, Amvrosiev PA, Prosviriakova IA, Novakovskaia KP, Klypa VV, Mazik MM. Otsenka riska dlia zdorov'ia naseleniia ot vozdeistviia khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagriazniaiushchikh atmosfernyi vozdukh [Risk assessment for health of the population from influence of the chemicals polluting atmospheric air]: instruktsiia 126.96.36.199-9-29-2004. V: Sovremennye metody diagnostiki, lecheniia i profilaktiki zabolevanii: sb. instruktiv.- metod. dok. Minsk, RB; 2005. Vyp. 5, t. 6. р. 83–157.
2. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po gigienicheskoi otsenke kachestva atmosfernogo vozdukha i ekologo-ekonomicheskoi otsenke riska dlia zdorov'ia naseleniia [Methodical references by a hygienic assessment of quality of atmospheric air and an ekologo-economic assessment of risk for health of the population]: MR 113-9711 ot 10.02.98. Minsk, RB; 1998. 48 р.
3. Sokolov SM, Filonov VP. Prognozirovanie zdorov'ia naseleniia, prozhivaiushchego v raione razmeshcheniia predpriiatii teploenergetiki [Forecasting of health of the population living in the district of placement of the enterprises of power system]. Gigiena i sanitariia. 1988;(1):54-6.
4. Sokolov SM, Pinigin MN, Chebotarev PA. Matematicheskoe prognozirovanie toksikometricheskikh parametrov, ustanovlennykh na osnove zavisimosti kontsentratsiia-vremia-effekt [Mathematical forecasting the toksikometricheskikh of the parameters established on the basis of dependence concentration-time-effect]. V: Predpatologiia: problemy i resheniia: sb. nauch. tr. Minsk, RB; 2000. р. 33-41.
5. Filonov VP, Sokolov SM, Naumenko TE, Zhigunov NF, Pershin IG. Gigienicheskie aspekty okhrany zdorov'ia naseleniia v sviazi s zagriazneniem atmosfernogo vozdukha [Hygienic aspects of public health care in connection with pollution of atmospheric air]. Zdravookhranenie Belarusi. 1994;(11):56-9.
6. Shevchuk LM. Obosnovanie gigienicheskikh kriteriev otsenki promyshlennykh predpriiatii kak istochnikov zagriazneniia atmosfernogo vozdukha dlia korrektirovki razmerov sanitarno-zashchitnykh zon [Justification of hygienic criteria of an assessment of the industrial enterprises as polluters of atmospheric air for adjustment of the sizes of sanitary protection zones]. Vestnik Vitebskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta. 2010;9(1):137-41.