N.A. Sakharuk, A.A. Veretennikova, N.I. Zekov
The evaluation of immediate and remote results of endodontic treatment
Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Endodontic treatment is one of the most common methods of dental care. Its effectiveness largely depends on the quality of implementation of medical manipulations in the root canal system of a tooth. The evaluation of the effectiveness of the provided treatment is made soon after it - 1, 3, 6 months, and in the remote period - 1-2 years or more according to certain criteria. Depending on the age of the patients the causes of the drawbacks of endodontic treatment are different. The aim of our study was to evaluate the immediate and remote results of endodontic treatment for pulpitis and apical periodontitis in young patients (18-25 years) and to analyse them. Altogether we have examined 21 patients without concomitant somatic diseases, with the subcompensated form of caries course (DEF=5-6, OHIS=0,7-1,6) and the diagnosis of pulpitis and apical periodontitis. The evaluation was made in three different periods according to four key criteria. They were the quality of root canal filling, the presence or absence of the symptoms of inflammation (pain, swelling) in the maxillofacial area, the presence or absence of the signs of inflammation in the region of a concrete tooth (painful percussion, swelling, redness, mobility, gingival fistula) and the presence or absence of changes in the periapical tissues. On the evaluation of the immediate results of treatment satisfactory outcome was observed in 15 cases out of 21. After 6 months of the follow-up these figures were 6 out of 13, and after one year of observation - 3 out of 6. It has been found that the most common complications after the treatment of pulpitis and periodontitis are pain and swelling in the causative tooth region in the immediate period of evaluation of endodontic treatment quality, and changes in the periapical tissues in the remote period of it. In all cases these complications were associated with poor quality of root canal filling, and namely: incomplete obturation of root canal and outlet of the filling material beyond the root apex.
Key words: endodontic treatment, pulpitis, periodontitis.
1. Borovsky EV. Klinicheskaia endodontiia [Clinical endodontiya]. Moscow, RF: Stomatologiia; 1999. 176 р.
2. Cherniavsky YuP. Kurs lektsii po terapevticheskoi stomatologii [Course of lectures on a therapeutic odontology]: dlia studentov 3 kursa stomatol. fak.: posobie. Ch. 1. Vitebsk, RB; 2013. 377 р.
3. Ingle JI, Bakland LK. Endodontics. 4th ed. London; 1994. 944 р.
4. Harty FJ, Parkins BJ, Wengraf AM. Success rate in root canal therapy. A retrospective study of conventional cases. Br Dent J. 1970 Jan;128(2):65-70.
5. Pitt Ford ТR. Harty's Endodontics in Clinical Practice. Butterworth-Heinemann; 2003. 304 p.
6. Ivanov VS, Ovrutsky GD, Gemonov VV. Prakticheskaia endodontiia [Practical endodontiya]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1984. 224 р.
7. Alpatova VG, Kiselnikova LP, Panfilov PE. Analiz rezul'tatov endodonticheskogo lecheniia postoiannykh zubov patsientov raznogo vozrasta, vypolnennogo s uchetom strukturnykh osobennostei ikh tverdykh tkanei [The analysis of results of endodontichesky treatment of second teeth of patients of the different age executed taking into account structural features of their firm tissues]. Problemy stomatologii. 2013;(5):50-6.
8. Chagay AA, Cherkasov DV. Rol' anatomii zubov pri planirovanii i provedenii endodonticheskogo lecheniia [Role of anatomy of teeth when planning and carrying out endodontichesky treatment]. Problemy stomatologii. 2011;(1):28-9.
9. Lunitsyna YuV, Zubova IE. Sravnitel'naia otsenka effektivnosti razlichnykh metodik plombirovaniia kornevykh kanalov zubov [Comparative assessment of efficiency of various techniques of sealing of root channels of teeth]. Problemy stomatologii. 2015;(2):9-12.