Pecherskaya M.S.*, Kozlovsky V.I.*, Eroshkina E.S.**
Cognitive functions in patients with arterial hypertension of the 2nd degree and orthostatic hypotension
*Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
**Public Health Establishment «Vitebsk Town Clinical Hospital №1», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2016;15(1):55-62.
Objectives. To assess cognitive functions in patients with orthostatic hypotension and arterial hypertension of the 2nd degree.
Material and methods. The study involved 56 patients with arterial hypertension of the 2nd degree who were hospitalized and underwent treatment for a hypertensive crisis. The average age was 48,5±9,9 years, mean duration of hypertension made up 12,1±8,2 years. The control group included 18 practically healthy people, their average age was 47,3±7,3 years. By sex and age the control group was comparable with the group of patients with arterial hypertension.
Standard laboratory and instrumental methods were used to study the patients, tests to assess cognitive functions as well as active orthostatic test were conducted.
Results. In 33,9% of patients with arterial hypertension in the early postcrisis period orthostatic hypotension was revealed during active orthostatic test. The presence of orthostatic hypotension was significantly associated with the presence of slight and moderate cognitive disturbances, which indicates the need to assess cognitive functions in patients with pathological orthostatic reactions.
Conclusions. The obtained data enable the substantiation of the inclusion of the evaluation of cognitive functions in the complex of diagnostic measures for patients with hypertension and orthostatic hypotension with the aim of individualization of treatment tactics.
Key words: cognitive disturbances, arterial hypertension, orthostatic hypotension, active orthostatic test.
1. Levin OS. Kognitivnye narusheniia v praktike terapevta: zabolevaniia serdechno-sosudistoi sistemy [Cognitive disturbances in practice of the therapist: diseases of cardiovascular system]. Consilium medicum. 2012;11(2):55-61.
2. Zakharov VV, Yakhno NN. Kognitivnye rasstroistva v pozhilom i starcheskom vozraste [Cognitive disorders at advanced and senile age]: metod posobie dlia vrachei. Moscow, RF; 2005. 71 р.
3. Zakharov VV. Rasprostranennost' i lechenie kognitivnykh narushenii v nevrologicheskoi klinike (Rezul'taty Vserossiiskogo issledovaniia «PROMETEI») [Prevalence and treatment of cognitive disturbances in neurologic clinic (Results of the All-Russian research «PROMETHEUS»)]. Consilium medicum. 2008;10(2):25-9.
4. Starchina YuA, Parfenov VA. Kognitivnye rasstroistva pri tserebrovaskuliarnykh zabolevaniiakh: diagnoz i lechenie [Cognitive disorders at cerebrovascular diseases: diagnosis and treatment]. Rus med zhurn Nevrologiia Psikhiatriia. 2008;16(12):1625.
5. Parfenov VA, Starchina YuA. Kognitivnye rasstroistva i ikh lechenie u bol'nykh arterial'noi gipertenziei II [Cognitive disorders and their treatment at patients with arterial hypertension of II]. Rus med zhurn Izbran lektsii dlia semeinykh vrachei. 2007;15(2):117-211.
6. Hénon H, Pasquier F, Leys D. Poststroke dementia. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2006;22(1):61-70.
7. Zakharov VV. Vedenie patsientov s kognitivnymi narusheniiami [Treatment patients with cognitive disturbances]. Rus med zhurn. 2007;15(10):510-4.
8. Kozlovskiy VI, Kirpichenko AA, Antonysheva OV, Olenskaya TL. Diagnostika kognitivnykh rasstroistv u patsientov s arterial'noi gipertenziei [Diagnostics of cognitive disorders at patients with arterial hypertension]: ucheb posobie. Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2010. 22 р.
9. Chambers JC. Should we screen hospice inpatients for orthostatic hypotension? Palliat Med. 2005 Jun;19(4):314-8.
10. Lahrmann H, Cortelli P, Hilz M, Mathias CJ, Struhal W, Tassinari M. EFNS guidelines on the diagnosis and management of orthostatic hypotension. Eur J Neurol. 2006 Sep;13(9):930-6.
11. Low PA. Prevalence of orthostatic hypotension. Clin Auton Res. 2008 Mar;18 Suppl 1:8-13.
12. Weiss A, Beloosesky Y, Grinblat J, Grossman E. Seasonal changes in orthostatic hypotension among elderly admitted patients. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2006 Feb;18(1):20-4.
13. Kozlovskiy VI, Snezhitskiy VA, Pecherskaya MS, Olenskaya TL. Metody issledovaniia ortostaticheskikh reaktsii [Methods of research of orthostatic reactions]. Vitebsk, RB; 2010. 254 р.
14. Robertson D. The epidemic of orthostatic tachycardia and orthostatic intolerance. Am J Med Sci. 1999 Feb;317(2):75-7.
15. Stewart JM, Weldon A. Vascular perturbations in the chronic orthostatic intolerance of the postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000 Oct;89(4):1505-12.
16. Goreva AV, Slobodin TN, Golovchenko YuI. Osobennosti sostoianiia gemodinamiki u bol’nykh s progressiruiushchimi kognitivnymi narusheniiami [Features of a condition of a hemodynamic at patients with the progressing cognitive disturbances] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Ukr Med Chasopis. 2012;(2):46-50. Rezhim dostupa: http: //www.umj.com.ua/article/30850/osobennosti-sostoyaniya-gemodinamiki-u-bolnyx-s-progressiruyushhimi-kognitivnymi-narusheniyami. Data dostupa: 25.08.2015.