Cephalometric characteristics of men and women aged 17-24 years
Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2016;15(3):24-32.
The aim of the research was to study features, interdependence and age dynamics of cephalometric characteristics in men and women aged 17-24 years. The current study was approved by the committee of clinical researches ethics. The measurement of the parameters of the cranial and facial parts of the head in 250 youths aged 17-21 years, 150 men aged 22-24 years, 200 girls aged 17-20 years and 200 women aged 21-21 years was taken. The cephalometric evaluation was performed using the V.V. Bunak’s method in compliance with all demands and recommendations required for carrying out anthropometric researches. Anthropometric study consisted in the measurement of 21 parameters between the main points when positioning the head in the Frankfurt horizontal plane. The statistical analysis of the study results was made using the analytical package Statistica 8.0.
The regularities that indicate the debrachycephalization and juvenilization of the cranial part of the head in women aged 17-24 years were revealed. The peculiarities indicating the gracilization of the facial part of the head in women aged 17-24 were determined. The regularities that indicate the debrachycephalization of the cranial part of the head in the groups consisting of men aged 17-21 and 22-24 years were detected. The peculiarities indicating the gracilization of the facial part of the head in men aged 17-24 were determined. During the analysis of age dynamics there was no statistically significant decrease of the cranial and facial head region parameter values, this suggesting the absence of involutive changes of the head in men and women during the period from 17 to 24 years. Multiple correlations were detected which allow to assume the availability of interrelation and interdependence of the cranial and facial head structures as well as their connection with somatotypes.
Key words: cephalometry, head, face, debrachycephalization, juvenilization, gracilization.
1. Alekseev VP, Debets GF. Kraniometriia [Craniometry]: metodika antropol issledovanii. Moscow, RF: Nauka; 1964. 128 р.
2. Melnik VA, Kozlovskiy AA, Kozakevich NV, Kravtsova VA. Analiticheskaia otsenka somaticheskogo statusa detei i podrostkov na rubezhe stoletii [Analytical assessment of the somatic status of children and teenagers at a turn of centuries]: (obzor literatury). Problemy Zdorov'ia i Ekologii. 2010;(1):9-13.
3. Salivon II. Izmeneniia fizicheskogo tipa naseleniia Belarusi za poslednee tysiacheletie [Changes of physical type of the population of Belarus for the last millennium]. Minsk, RB: Belarus navuka; 2011. 172 р.
4. Akodis ZM, Anzherkushyan GA, Arsenina OI, Bychkova VM, Vares EYa, Vinogradova TF, Gashimov RG, Gunenkova IV, Demner LM, Zubkova LP, Khoroshilkina FYa, red. Rukovodstvo po ortodontii [Guide to an orthodontia]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1999. 800 р.
5. Lewis AB, Roche AF. Late growth changes in the craniofacial skeleton. Angle Orthod. 1988 Apr;58(2):127-35.
6. Bunak VV. Antropometriia [Anthropometry ]. Moscow, RF: Uchpedgiz; 1941. 368 р.
7. Uzhumetskene II. Metody issledovaniia v ortodontii [Research methods in an orthodontia]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1970. 200 р.
8. Perunov AYu, Dobrovolskiy GA. Kharakteristika anatomicheskikh parametrov i pokazatelei golovy studentok (meditsinskie i pedagogicheskie aspekty) [Characteristic of anatomic parameters and indicators of the head of students (medical and pedagogical aspects)]. V: Pedagogicheskie tekhnologii v vuze i shkole: sb nauch tr. Saratov, RF: Izd-vo Sarat un-ta; 2003. Vyp 1. Р. 316-20.
9. Firsova IV; Saratov Gos Med In-t. Kefalometricheskaia i tipologicheskaia kharakteristika stroeniia golovy saratovskikh zhenshchin v vozraste 17-19 let [The Kefalometrichesky and typological characteristic of a structure of the head of the Saratov women at the age of 17-19 years]: avtoref dis ... kand med nauk: 14.00.02. Volgograd, RF; 2003. 22 р.
10. Matytsina TV. Anatomo-funktsional'nye osobennosti tipologii golovy muzhchin v vozraste 17-19 let [Anatomo-funktsionalnye features of a typology of the head of men at the age of 17-19 years]. Morfologiia. 2001;120(4):78.
Information about authors:
Kuz’menko Y.V. – senior teacher of the Chair of Pediatric Dentistry & Maxillofacial Surgery, Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University».