Allergy to manganese in patients with intolerance to dentoprosthetic materials
Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University», Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2016;15(3):53-59.
There is a need for search of the most allergenic ions of the metals which are a part of dental alloys. In this article our own experience to detect an allergy in vivo and in vitro is described. As a result it has been established that manganese rather often causes the development of an allergy to dental alloys.
The diagnosis of an allergy to manganese with the use of application tests, reactions of allergen induced damage of leukocytes and degranulation of mast cells has been described. Groups of patients with intolerance to dentoprosthetic materials served as an object of our research.
As a result of the carried out work the value of manganese ions in the formation of an allergy to stomatologic metal-containing constructions has been shown. It has been established that the sensitization to manganese rather often comes to light in vivo, by the results of application tests in 24 and 48 hours in 38,9% and 46,3%, respectively, and in vitro by the results of the indirect reaction of degranulation of mast cells in 42,6% and by those of the reaction of allergen induced damage of leukocytes in 31,5% of cases.
The use of the reaction of allergen inducted damage of leukocytes in complex with the reaction of degranulation of mast cells allows to reveal both the sensitization of leukocytes and the existence of free IgE-antibodies, is import substituting and possesses high diagnostic efficiency.
Key words: allergy, diagnosing, leukocytes, manganese, application tests.
1. Merget R, van Kampen V, Brüning T. Immediate type allergies due to metal compounds: platinum salts. Pneumologie. 2003 Oct;57(10):606-11.
2. Dubova LV, Lebedenko IYu, Babakhina YuA, Stetsenko ON, Borzova NV, Voronkova LN, Babakhin AA. Vliianie obraztsov zubnykh protezov iz akrilovoi plastmassy, na proiavlenie kratkosrochnoi IgE-zavisimoi bronkhial'noi astmy v eksperimente [Influence of samples of dentures from acrylic plastic, on implication of short-term IgE-dependent bronchial asthma in experiment]. Ros Stomatol Zhurn. 2010;(4):12-22.
3. Velichko LS, Yashchikovskiy NV; Belorus Gos Med Un-t, Kaf Ortoped Stomatologii. Neperenosimost' metallicheskikh protezov elektrogal'vanicheskoi prirody [Intolerance of metal prostheses of the electrogalvanic nature]: ucheb-metod posobie. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2010. 23 р.
4. Schade R, Hartleb M, Liefeith K. Comparative studies on the proliferation of fibroblasts on metallic biomaterials. Intern Med. 1997;5:163-8.
5. Dubova LV, Lebedenko IYu. Nuzhdaemost' patsientov s bronkhial'noi astmoi v stomatologicheskoi pomoshchi [Needs of patients with bronchial asthma in the stomatologic help]. Ros Stomatol Zhurn. 2010;(5):36-8.
6. Amiraev UA. Vliianie elektropotentsialov metallicheskikh zubnykh protezov na obshchie i mestnye immunnye reaktsii organizma [Influence of electropotentials of metal dentures on the general and local immune reactions of an organism]. Problemy Stomatologii. 2006;(1):25-6.
7. Al-Hiyasat AS, Bashabsheh OM, Darmani H. An investigation of the cytotoxic effects of dental casting alloys. Int J Prosthodont. 2003 Jan-Feb;16(1):8-12.
8. Matsui E, Kagey-Sobotka A, Chichester K, Eggleston PA. Allergic potency of recombinant Fel d 1 is reduced by low concentrations of chlorine bleach. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003 Feb;111(2):396-401.
9. Busse WW, Rosenwasser LJ. Mechanisms of asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;111(Issue 3);S799-S804.
10. Lebedev KA, Mitronin AV, Ponyakina ID. Neperenosimost' zuboproteznykh materialov [Intolerance of dentoprosthetic materials]. Moscow, RF: Librokom; 2010. 208 р.
11. Novikov DK, Sergeev YuV, Novikov PD. Lekarstvennaia allergiia [Medicinal allergy]. Moscow, RF: Nats akad mikologii; 2001. 313 р.
Information about authors:
Karpuk I.Y. – doctoral candidate of the Сhair of Clinical Immunology &Allergology with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, Educational Establishment «Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University».