The phagocytic activity of blood neutrophils in patients with chronic generalized periodontitis of the 1st-2nd degree of severity on the background of parasitoses
Kharkov National Medical University, Kharkov, Ukraine
Vestnik VGMU. 2016;15(4):80-87.
The article presents the results of the phagocytic immunity chain study in patients with chronic generalized periodontitis (CGP) of the 1st-2nd degree of severity on the background of enterobiasis, toxocariasis, giardiasis. The aim of this work was to study the nature of changes in the phagocytic immunity chain in patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd degree of severity with parasitoses and in patients with CGP without parasitoses. The studies were conducted in 540 patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd degree of severity with parasitoses (main groups). The comparison group consisted of 90 patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd degree of severity without parasitic invasion, the control group included 30 people without periodontal diseases and any chronic pathology of other organs and systems. Phagocytic activity of neutrophils was assessed according to their ability to absorb the S.aureus bacteria (strain 209), bactericidal capacity (BC) of phagocytes was evaluated with the use of the S. Nielsen method. Oxygen-dependent activity of phagocytes was studied in the spontaneous and zymosan induced HCT-test. Statistical processing of the materials was carried out using mathematical statistics methods for the analysis of the obtained data.
It has been established that in patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree with parasitoses and in patients with CGP without parasitoses there was a reduction of the absorption and biocidal ability of peripheral blood neutrophils compared with healthy individuals. In patients with the 1st degree of CGP severity without parasitoses the number of cells, involved in phagocytosis (FI) was decreased by 13,7%, the number of microbes, absorbed by one cell (FN) – by 17,3%, biocide (BC) – by 76%. As follows from the obtained data FI and FN in this group of patients did not reliably differ from the normal values. In patients with CGP of the 2nd severity degree without parasitoses all three indices studied had a statistically significant difference. FI was reduced in comparison with the norm by 20,5%, FN – by 24,2%, BC – by 152%. In patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd degree of severity with parasitoses the significant differences from the control group were observed both in case of the 1st degree of the disease, and in case of the 2nd severity degree of the illness. In patients with the 1st degree of the disease severity with parasitoses the reduction of FI was 22,2-28,0%, FN – 32,8-39,7%, BC – 158-170%, in patients with the 2nd degree that of FI made up 29,3-34,4%, FN – 41,4-53,5%, BC – 238-264%. In patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree with parasitoses the significant differences compared with patients suffering from CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree without parasitoses were respectively related to the number of microbes absorbed by a single cell (FN) and biocidal capability of neutrophils (BC). Phagocytic index (PI) of patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree with parasitoses did not significantly differ from that in patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree respectively without parasitoses. In patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd degree of severity having various forms of parasitoses the induced and spontaneous HCT tests are reduced. In patients with CGP of the 1st-2nd severity degree without parasitoses the spontaneous HCT test on the contrary is increased in comparison with both infested patients, and the control group of individuals.
Key words: generalized periodontitis, parasitoses, immunity, phagocytosis.
1. Romanenko IG, Kryuchkov DYu. Generalizovannyi parodontit i metabolicheskii sindrom. Edinstvo patogeneticheskikh mekhanizmov razvitiia [Generalized periodontal disease and metabolic syndrome. Unity of pathogenetic mechanisms of development]. Krim Terapevt Zhurn. 2011;(1):60-7.
2. Khalafli KhN. Osobennosti razvitiia zabolevanii parodonta u bol’nykh s kishechnymi parazitozami [Features of development of diseases of a parodont in patients with intestinal parasitic diseases]. Parodontologiia. 2009;(3):21-4.
3. Lomova OL, Ron’ GI. Osobennosti techeniia zabolevanii slizistoi obolochki polosti rta i parodonta u patsientov s khronicheskoi opistorkhoznoi invaziei [Features of a course of diseases of a mucosa of an oral cavity and a parodont at patients with a chronic opistorkhozny invasion]. Problemy Stomatologii. 2011;(2):24-6.
4. Savelyeva NN. Nekotorye aspekty vzaimosviazi mezhdu khronicheskim generalizovannym parodontitom, zabolevaniiami iazyka i parazitarnoi invaziei [Some aspects of interrelation between a chronic generalized periodontal disease, diseases of tongue and a parasitogenic invasion]. Eksperim Klіnіch Meditsina. 2014;(4):204-12.
5. Bodnya EI, Bodnya IP. Kliniko-immunologicheskie aspekty parazitarnykh boleznei [Kliniko-immunologichesky aspects of parasitogenic illnesses]. Klіnіchna Іmunologіia Alergologіia Іnfektologіia. 2007;(3):18-24.
6. Bessonov AS. Sovremennoe sostoianie i perspektivy razvitiia parazitologii v KhKhІ veke [The current state and the prospects of development of parasitology in the 21st century]. Med Parazitologiia Parazitar Bolezni. 1998;(2):3-7.
7. Astafyev BA. Immunopatologicheskie proiavleniia i oslozhneniia gel’mintozov [Immunopathological implications and complications of helminthiases]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1987. 124 р.
8. Bodnya EI. Adaptatsionnaia rol’ stressornoi reaktsii parazitarnoi etiologii u cheloveka [An adaptic role of stressorny reaction of a parasitogenic etiology at the person]. Problemi Med Nauki ta Osvіti. 2000;(4):53-5.
9. Astafyev BA. Dostizheniia otechestvennoi nauki v izuchenii patogeneza gel’mintozov [Achievements of domestic science in studying of a pathogenesis of helminthiases]. Med Parazitologiia Parazitar Bolezni. 1998;(2):8-11.
10. Ozeretskovskaya NN. Eozinofiliia krovi i immunoglobulinemiia E: osobennosti reguliatsii pri gel’mintozakh i allergicheskikh bolezniakh [Eosinophilia of a blood and immunoglobulinemiya E: features of a regulation at helminthiases and allergic illnesses]. Med Parazitologiia Parazitar Bolezni. 1997;(2):3-9.
11. Pіshak VP, Boychuk TM. Suchasnі aspekti іmunoparazitologії [Modern aspects Immuno Parasitology.]. Bukov Med Vіsnik. 2002;6(1):8-19.
12. Chaker E, Bel Hadj S, Khaled S, Ben Moussa M, Ben Rachid MS. Digestive parasitic diseases. A continuous current problem. Tunis Med. 1995 Jan;73(1):53-6.
13. Khaitov RM, Pinegin BV. Otsenka immunnogo statusa cheloveka v norme i pri patologii [Assessment of the immune status of the person is normal also at pathology]. Immunologiia. 2001;(4):4-6.
14. Bazhanov NN, Ter-Azaturov GP, Kassin VYu, Ivanyushko TP, Arion VI, Simonova AV. Ispol’zovanie immunologicheskikh pokazatelei dlia otsenki tiazhesti techeniia parodontita i effektivnosti lecheniia [Use of immunologic indicators for assessment of gravity of a current of a periodontal disease and efficiency of treatment]. Stomatologiia. 1996;75(1):15-8.
15. Maksimovskiy YuM, Chirkova TD, Ulyanova MA. Osobennosti aktivatsionnogo sostava immunokompetentnykh kletok krovi parodonta pri kataral’nom gingivite [Features of activation structure of immunocompetent blood cells of a parodont at a catarral ulitis]. Stomatologiia. 2003;82(5):20-2.
16. Mazurin AV, Vorontsov IM. Propedevtika detskikh boleznei [Propedeutics of children’s illnesses]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: Foliant; 2000. 926 р.
17. Vismont FI. Vospalenie (patofiziologicheskie aspekty) [Inflammation (pathophysiological aspects)]: ucheb-metod posobie. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2006. 36 р.
18. Skachkova NK. Sovremennoe predstavlenie o fagotsitoze [Modern idea of phagocytosis]. Laboratorna Dіagnostika. 2012;(3):58-64.
19. Ananenko AA. Biokhimicheskie mekhanizmy reaktsii fagotsitoza v norme i pri patologii u detei [Biochemical mechanisms of reaction of phagocytosis are normal also at pathology at children]. Vopr Okhrany Materinstva Detstva. 1983;(8):37-9.
20. Dolgushin II, Bukharin OV. Neitrofily i gomeostaz [Neutrophils and homeostasis]. Ekaterinburg, RF: UrO RAN; 2001. 283 р.
21. Klebanov GI. Izmenenie aktivnosti superoksiddismutazy v protsesse stimuliatsii polimorfnoiadernykh leikotsitov perifericheskoi krovi [Activity change superoxide dismutases in the course of stimulation of polymorphonuclear leucocytes of a peripheric blood]. Biul Eksperim Biologii Meditsiny. 1990;(4):334-6.
22. Kryukovskaya GM, Matveeva MV, Maryushina TO, Kryukovskiy RA. Izmenenie fagotsitarnoi aktivnosti neitrofilov pri primenenii Immuniti Up u sobak s khronicheskoi gastroenteropatiei [Change of phagocytal activity of neutrophils at use of Immuniti Up for dogs with a chronic gastroenteropathy]. JSAP. 2012;(2):44-5.
23. Nielsen SL, Black FT, Storgaard M, Obel N. Evaluation of a method for measurement of sntracellular killing of staphylococcus aureus in human neutrophil granulocytes. APMIS. 1995 Jun;103(6):460-8.
24. Viksman ME, Mayanskiy AN. Sposob otsenki funktsional’noi aktivnosti neitrofilov cheloveka po reaktsii vosstanovleniia nitrosinego tetrazoliia [A way of assessment of functional activity of neutrophils of the person on reaction of restoration nitroblue a tetrazoliya]: metod rek. Kazan, RF: Kazan NIIEM; 1979. 11 р.
25. Gmurman VE. Teoriia veroiatnostei i matematicheskaia statistika [Probability theory and mathematical statistics]: ucheb posobie dlia vuzov. Moscow, RF: Vyssh shk; 2003. 479 р.
26. Glants S. Mediko-biologicheskaia statistika [Medicobiological statistics]. Moscow, RF: Praktika; 1999. 459 р.
27. Lakin GF. Biometriia [Biometry]: ucheb posobie dlia studentov biol spetsial’nostei vuzov. Moscow, RF: Vyssh shk, 1990. 352 р.
Information about authors:
Savelyeva N.N. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Dentistry, Kharkov National Medical University, Ukraine.