Algorithms of providing dental care for patients with intolerance to dental materials
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(1):94-101.
Objectives. To develop algorithms of examining the patients with intolerance to stomatologic materials (ISM).
Material and methods. The experience accumulated during the examination of 624 patients with ISM allowed to frame the following algorithms of inspecting the patients:
– before a prosthetic repair for the detection of risk factors of allergic and nonspecified stomatitis development with individual risks taken into account;
– coming to health care institutions with complaints of stomatologic materials intolerance and/or belonging to the risk group;
– with allergic and nonspecified stomatitis after prosthetic repairs in health care institutions of the regional level.
Results. The result of introducing algorithms and diagnostic methods of hypersensitivity to stomatologic materials in Vitebsk region was 2,6 times decrease in the number of cases of ISM by 2016 in comparison with 2010 (the beginning of monitoring) and 3,54 times reduction in comparison with 2012 when monitoring was adjusted. The decrease in frequency of repeated cases of ISM after prosthetic repairs during the program implementation and practically their full elimination by 2016 (only 1 case – against the background of chemotherapeutic treatment for a malignant neoplasm) were observed but in 2010 19 such cases were recorded.
Conclusions. These algorithms of prophylaxis and differential diagnosis of allergic and nonspecified stomatitis before and after prosthetic repairs, offered by us and introduced into medical practice, allowed to find unstable functional states at the preclinical level, preventing the risk of complications development and transition of the process after the prosthetic repair to a clinically expressed phase. Pilot approbation of the above-mentioned program in Vitebsk region showed its high efficiency and economic feasibility.
Key words: stomatologic materials, intolerance, algorithm, allergic stomatitis.
1. Velichko LS, Yashchikovskiy NV. Differential diagnostics, prophylaxis and treatment of hyperesthesias of an oral cavity. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2012;(1):34-6. (In Russ.)
2. Naumovich SA, Titov PL. The characteristic of humoral factors of immunity at patients with complaints to adverse effect of dental alloys. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2005;(1):48-51. (In Russ.)
3. Gociu M, Pătroi D, Prejmerean C, Păstrăv O, Boboia S, Prodan D, et al. Biology and cytotoxicity of dental materials: an in vitro study. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2013;54(2):261-5.
4. Lukomska-Szymańska M, Brzeziński PM, Zieliński A, Sokołowski J. Cytological response of palatal epithelium to TiN-coated CoCr alloy denture. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2012 Apr;50(1):104-10. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/18704
5. Pillai AR, Gangadharan A, Gangadharan J, Kumarand NV. Cytotoxic effects of the nickel release from the stainless steel brackets: An in vitro study. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2013 Jun;5(Suppl 1):S1-S4. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0975-7406.113279
6. Korsch M, Robra BP, Walther W. Predictors of Excess Cement and Tissue Response to Fixed Implant-Supported Dentures after Cementation. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015 Jan;17(Suppl 1):e45-53. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/cid.12122
7. Marino R, Capaccio P, Pignataro L, Spadari F. Burning mouth syndrome: the role of contact hypersensitivity. Oral Dis. 2009 May;15(4):255-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2009.01515.x
8. Zheng J, Su Q, Wang C, Cheng G, Zhu R, Shi J, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of PMMA/MMT nanocomposite as denture base material. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2011 Apr;22(4):1063-71. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10856-011-4269-8
9. Emami E, Taraf H, de Grandmont P, Gauthier G, de Koninck L, Lamarche C, et al. The association of denture stomatitis and partial removable dental prostheses: a systematic review. Int J Prosthodont. 2012 Mar-Apr;25(2):113-9.
10. Villa A, Abati S. Risk factors and symptoms associated with xerostomia: a cross-sectional study. Aust Dent J. 2011 Sep;56(3):290-5. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2011.01347.x
11. Vissink A, Visser A, Spijkervet FK. Oral medicine 1. Causes and clinical symptoms of dry mouth. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2012 Oct;119(10):493-8.
Information about authors:
Karpuk I.Y. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, doctoral candidate of the Сhair of Clinical Immunology &Allergology with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.