Orujov R.A., Jafarova R.A.
The peculiarities of the toxic effect of petroleum hydrocarbons on the human organism
Azerbaijan Medical University, Baku, Azerbaijan
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(4):8-15.
Environmental pollution caused by man-made toxic wastes actually endangers the health of human beings. But the employees directly engaged in crude oil extraction, refining activities and production of oil products suffer in particular. The population (especially children) living in the proximity to industrial projects also is at certain risk. Unlike acute poisoning, chronic intoxication with hydrocarbons (especially with cyclic ones) does not offer a clear and full picture of the pathology. However, as the researches have shown, long-term exposure to small doses of these substances leads to the development and progression of the nervous, cardiovascular and immune systems disorders as well as to the disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and other body systems. The environmental pollution caused by exhaust gases generated through combustion of gasoline, burning of mazut, use of such organic solvents as acetone, benzene, etc. deserves special mention. All volatile organic solvents are narcotics as a matter of fact, and they adversely affect the nervous system. These poisons enter the human body through the respiratory organs, skin and the digestive tract and accumulate in the nervous and fatty tissues. Their toxicity varies depending on their chemical structure, ratio of distribution in tissues and elimination rates.
Key words: oil products, acetone, benzene, toxicity, occupational hygiene.
1. Izmerov NF, Denisov EI, Prokopenko LV, Sivochalova OV, Stepanyan IV, Chelishcheva MYu, i dr. Methodology of identification and prophylaxis of the diseases bound to work. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2010;(9):1-7. (In Russ.)
2. Il'kaeva EH, Volgareva AD. Diagnosis, assessment and prevention of occupational neurosensory loss of hearing in the oil and petrochemical industry. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2008;(10):9-12. (In Russ.)
3. Savlukov AI, Kil'debekova RN, Farshatov RS. Correction of processes of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defense system by Mexidol and glycine in the toxic action of ethanol. Saratov Nauch-Med Zhurn. 2009;5(4):507-10. (In Russ.)
4. Mamedov GS, Khalilov MYu. Bionomics, environment and person. Baku, Azerbaijan: Elm; 2006. 608 р.
5. Lim TE, Fridman KB, Shustalov SN. Model of studying of risk for health of the population from pollution by the motor transport. Ekologiia Cheloveka. 2011;(8):3-7.
6. Rakhmanin YuA, Khripach LV, Zheleznyak EV, Zykova IE, Novikov SM, Volkova IF, i dr. Influence of pollution of atmospheric air chemical compounds on medicobiological indicators of the state of health of residents of Moscow. Prikladnaia Toksikologiia. 2011;2(4):38-47. (In Russ.)
7. McFadden E, Luben R, Wareham N, Bingham S, Khaw KT. Occupational social class, risk factors and cardiovascular disease, incidence in men and women. Eur J Epidemiol. 2008;23(7):449-58. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10654-008-9262-2
8. Sorokin GA. Dynamics of a case rate with temporary disability as an indicator of professional risk. Gigiena Sanitariia. 2007;(4):43-6. (In Russ.)
9. Ermolina EV, Stadnikov AA, Mikhaylova IV, Smolyagin AI. A research of the long combined influence of benzene and chrome on a morfofunktsionalny condition of neuroendocrinal and immune systems of rats Vistar. Izv Samar Nauch Tsentra Ros Akad Nauk. 2012;14(5):444-7.
10. Badamshina GG, Valeeva OV, Daukaev RA, Karimov DO, Aslaev AN. Indicators of a peripheric blood at workers of petrochemical production. Analiz Riska Zdorov'iu. 2015;(2):62-7. (In Russ.)
11. Galiullina EF, Kamilov RF, Shakirov DF, Bulyakov RT. Biochemical markers of impact of production pollutants on an organism of workers of the rubber and rubber industry. Kazan Med Zhurn. 2013;94(5):661-7. (In Russ.)
12. Agzamova GS, Alieva AM. Clinical features of a course of toxic hepatitises and their treatment (review of treatment). Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2009;(12):44-7. (In Russ.)
13. Smolyagin AI, Mikhaylova IV, Ermolina EV, Krasikov SI, Boev VM. Pilot study of influence of benzene and chrome on immune system of an organism. Immunologiia. 2013;34(1):57-60. (In Russ.)
14. Belyanin VL, Peredel'skiy EA. Risk of development of chronic diseases and a carcinoma of the stomach at the persons contacting in conditions of production to monocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene and its homologs). Vopr Onkologii. 2003;49(3):337-9. (In Russ.)
15. Zyubina LYu, Shpagina LA, Panacheva LA. Professionally caused gemeopatiya and occupational diseases of a blood. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2008;(11):15-20. (In Russ.)
16. Karimova LK, Gizatullina DF. Early signs of harmful production factors on an organism working in modern petrochemical industry. Gigiena Sanitariia. 2012;(2):38-40.(In Russ.)
17. Kamilov RF, Abzalov PP, Khanov TV. Kudryavtsev VP. Sidorcheva OV, Yapparov RN, i dr. State of health of workers of the petrochemical industry. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2008;(12):10-5. (In Russ.)
18. McKee RH, Rohde AM, Daughtrey WC. Benzene levels in hydrocarbon solvents-response to author’s reply. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2007 Jun;4(6):D60-2. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15459620701328089
19. Akhmetov VM. Dynamics of a professional case rate in the oil, oil-processing and petrochemical industry in 40 years. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2002;(5):9-13. (In Rus.)
20. Birkeland JA, Sjaastad I, Brattelid T, Qvigstad E, Moberg ER, Krobert KA, et al. Effects of treatment with a 5-HT4 receptor antagonist in heart failure. Br J Pharmacol. 2007 Jan;150(2):143-52. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0706966
21. Bakirov AB, Gimranova GG. The main results of scientific research in oil industry. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2009;(11):1-5. (In Russ.)
22. Koh D-H, Kim T-W, Yoon Y-H, Shin K-S, Yoo S-W. Lymphohematopoietic cancer mortality and morbidity of workers in a refinery/petrochemical complex in Korea. Safety and Health at Work. 2011;2(1):26-33. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5491/SHAW.2011.2.1.26
23. Bazarnyy VV, Tikhonina EA, Shilko YuV. Cytochemical characteristics of neutrophilic granulocytes with different variants of ischemic heart disease. Klin Laborator Diagnostika. 2007;(8):48-9. (In Russ.)
24. Chen Y, Sun P, Guo X, Gao A. MiR-34a, a promising novel biomarker for benzene toxicity, is involved in cell apoptosis triggered by 1,4-benzoquinone through targeting Bcl-2. Environmental Pollution. 2017 Feb;221:256-65.
25. Felli A, Zeidler P, Jilma B, Opfermann P, Holaubek C, Zimpfer D, et al. Different Heparin Contents in Prothrombin Complex Concentrates May Impair Blood Clotting in Outpatients With Ventricular Assist Devices Receiving Phenprocoumon. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016 Jan;30(1):96-101. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2015.08.012
26. Indra M, Bhuvaneshwari V. Biological Monitoring and Chromosomal Aberration of Workers in Rubber Industry. Ethnobot Leaflets. 2008;(1):524-31.
27. Kerzic PJ, Liu WS, Pan MT, Fu H, Zhou Y, Schnatter AR, et al. Analysis of hydroquinone and catechol in peripheral blood of benzene-exposed workers. Chem Biol Interact. 2010 Mar;184(1-2):182-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2009.12.010
28. Gizatullina DF, Karimova LK, Yakhina RR, Akhmetshina VT. The impact of working conditions on the formation of pathology of the musculoskeletal system technicians for repair of equipment in modern petrochemical plants. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2009;(11):13-6. (In Russ.)
29. Bailey MA, Griffin KJ, Sohrabi S, Whalley DJ, Johnson AB, Baxter PD, et al. Plasma thrombin-antithrombin complex, prothrombin fragments 1 and 2, and D-dimer levels are elevated after endovascular but not open repair of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Jun;57(6):1512-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2012.12.030
30. Iskandarov AB. Assessment of air pollution in Tashkent. Gigiena Sanitariia. 2010;(1):54-6. (In Russ.)
31. Muttray A, Martus P, Schachtrup S, Müller E, Mayer-Popken O, Konietzko J. Acute effects of an orqanic solvent mixture on the human central nervous system. Eur J Med Res. 2005 Sep;10(9):381-8.
32. Xiao S, Gao L, Liu Y, Yu T, Jin C, Pan L, et al. Association of genetic polymorphisms in ERCC1 and ERCC2/XPD with risk of chronic benzene poisoning in a Chinese occupational population. Mutat Res. 2013 Feb;751(1):52-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2012.11.002
33. Yang J, Bai W, Niu P, Tian L, Gao A. Aberrant hypomethylated STAT3 was identified as a biomarker of chronic benzene poisoning through integrating DNA methylation and mRNA expression data. Exp Mol Pathol. 2014 Jun;96(3):346-53. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.yexmp.2014.02.013
Information about authors:
Orujov R.A. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Pediatric Hygiene & Occupational Hygiene, Azerbaijan Medical University;
Jafarova R.A. – Doctor of Biological Sciences, head of the Laboratory of Toxicology of the Scientific Research Center, Azerbaijan Medical University.