Rubnikovich S.P., Korkhova N.V., Timchuk Y.I.
The comparative characteristic of anthropometric diagnostic methods in patients with permanent occlusion
Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(5):105-111.
Anthropometric studies are included in the complex of mandatory diagnostic procedures conducted during the examination of patients with dentoalveolar and facial anomalies. Comprehensive analysis of the dentoalveolar system including the evaluation of dentition plaster models as an essential part of assessment is required during orthodontic diagnosing and subsequent treatment planning.
The aim of the study was the substantiation of anthropometric investigation methods choice in patients with permanent occlusion.
The results of anthropometric diagnostic methods study in patients with permanent occlusion are presented in this article.
The relevance of the H. Nance’s method was determined in 43,8% of cases that is insufficient to be recommended for the application to practice for the total dentition length measuring and diagnosis of the presence or lack of space for teeth in the dental arch during the permanent dentition period.
The A. Lundstrom’s method usage is reasonable for practical application in order to conduct both the detailed segmentation analysis of the dentition and the evaluation of the presence or lack of space for teeth in the dental arch during the permanent dentition period. This method confirmed its relevance in 90,1% of patients with neutral occlusion and can be recommended as an alternative to the H. Nance’s method.
The G. Korkhaus technique informativeness was confirmed in 89,1% of patients. It is advisable to use the confidence intervals of G. Korkhaus indices in the V. A. Shcherbakov’s modification for the analysis and evaluation of measurement results. The analysis of horizontal dental arch parameters measured by the A. Pont’s method has shown that the values of anthropometric standards of the dentition width depending on the sum of mesiodistal sizes of four upper incisors, designed by H. Linder and G. Harth, are irrelevant (they were confirmed in 57,8% of cases) for their usage in evaluating the dental arch width.
Key words: anthropometric methods, permanent occlusion, diagnostic models study.
1. Denisova YL, Bazylev NB, Rubnicovich SP, Fomin NA. Laser speckle technology in stomatology. Diagnostics of stresses and strains of hard biotissues and orthodontic and orthopedic structures. J Eng Phys Thermophys. 2013 Jul;86(4):940-51.
2. Rubnikovich SP, Baradina IN, Denisova YuL. The forecast and treatment of patients with dysfunction of temporal and mandibular joints. Voen Meditsina. 2015;(1):47-52. (In Russ.)
3. Min Gos Med In-t; Terekhova TN, i dr. Anthropometric and graphic methods in diagnostics of dentoalveolar anomalies: ucheb-metod razrab. Minsk, RB; 1998. 36 р. (In Russ.)
4. Akodis ZM, Anzherkushyan GA, Arsenina OI, Bychkova VM, Vares EYa, Vinogradova TF, i dr. Guide to an orthodontia. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1999. 800 р. (In Russ.)
5. Denisova YuL. Modern questions of an esthetic odontology. Stomatolog Minsk. 2014;(2):39-45. (In Russ.)
6. Shcherbakov VA, Gerda VV, Shcherbakov EV. Modification of methods of anthropometric researches of dentitions of Pon, Korkhauz and their practical use: metod rekomendatsii. Volgograd, RF; 2000. 7 р. (In Russ.)
7. Nettsel' F, Shul'tts K. Practical guidance on orthodontic diagnostics (The analysis and tables for use in practice). Lviv, Ukraine; 2006. 176 р. (In Russ.)
8. Mintser OP, Ugarov BN, Vlasov VV. Methods of processing of medical information. Kiev, Ukraine: Vishcha shkola; 1991. 271 р. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Rubnikovich S.P. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education;
Korkhova N.V. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education.
Timchuk Y.I. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Prosthetic Dentistry & Orthodontics with the course of Pediatric Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education.