Myadelets O.D.1, Lebedeva E.I.1, Myadelets N.Y.2
Teaching of stem cells theory at the chair of histology, cytology and embryology
1Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
2Vitebsk State Medical College, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(6):114-124.
The article discusses the problem of teaching the theory of stem cells of the body. The problem arose in connection with the fact that recently this teaching was enriched with completely new and stunning data on the origin, structure, differentiation, transdifferentiation, stem cell classifications, stem cell properties (SC) and their classification. Such new concepts and terms as «stem cell niches», their «transdifferentiation», «mobilization», «homing of stem cells», and some others appeared. However, the authors of textbooks and manuals are still cautious about the innovations devoted to stem cells which have been determined, studied and described in numerous scientific publications and do not hasten to include this information in educational literature. In this connection, the present article outlines methodological approaches to the introduction of new data on the properties of embryonic (ESC), fetal (FSC), «adult» regional stem cells (ARSC) in the educational process at the chairs of histology, cytology and embryology, which are directly imposed as a duty to inform the students about such a variety of cells as stem cells. This information is rather successfully introduced and will be implemented in the future at the Chair of Histology, Cytology & Embryology of the Vitebsk State Medical University. The article also presents the methodological techniques used by the staff of the chair for such implementation. Literature data on the issues relating to differentiation and transdifferentiation, the structure and properties of SC and their niches, and the regulation of these cells are described in sufficient detail. The possibilities of using SC in clinical practice are also discussed. A significant part of the article is devoted to the regional stem cells located in different body tissues of adult individuals.
Key words: the study of the stem cells of the body (SC), teaching at the chair of histology.
1. Mezen NI, Kvacheva ZB, Sychik LM. Stem cells: ucheb-metod posobie. 2-e izd dop. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2014. 62 р. (In Russ.)
2. Myadelets OD, Kichigina TN, Grushin VN, Myadelets NYa, Myadelets MO. AA Maximov and his revolutionary doctrine of mesenchymal stem cells. Vestn VGMU. 2007;6(3):139-47. (In Russ.)
3. Afanas'yev YuI, Yurina NA, red. Histology, cytology, embryology: uchebnik. 6-e izd pererab i dop. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2012. 800 р. (In Russ.)
4. Kuznetsov SL, Mushkambarov NN. Histology, cytology, embryology. Moscow, RF: MIA; 2012. 640 р. (In Russ.)
5. Zhunkeyra LK, Karneyro Zh. Histology: ucheb posobie: atlas: per s angl. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2009. 572 р. (In Russ.)
6. Banin V, Bykov V, red. Terminologia Histologica. The international terms on a cytology and a histology of the person with the official list of the Russian equivalents. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2009. 272 р. (In Russ.)
7. Kolesnikov LL, Shevlyuk NN, Erofeeva LM, red. Terminologia Embryologica. The international terms on a cytology and a histology of the person with the official list of the Russian equivalents. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2014. 422 р. (In Russ.)
8. Popov BV. Introduction to cellular biology of stem cells. Saint Petersburg, RF: SpetsLit; 2010. 352 р. (In Russ.)
9. Pal'tsev MA, red. Stem cell biology and cell technology: v 2 t. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 2009. 2 т. (In Russ.)
10. Vladimirskaya EB, Mayorova OA, Rumyantsev SA, Rumyantsev AG. Biological bases and prospects of therapy by stem cells. Moscow, RF: MEDPRAKTIKA-M; 2005. 392 р. (In Russ.)
11. Nimer NS. Stem cells (review of literature). Problemy Zdorov'ia Ekologii. 2009;(1):46-51. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Myadelets O.D. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Histology, Cytology & Embryology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Lebedeva E.I. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Histology, Cytology & Embryology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Myadelets N.Y. – lecturer of histology and genetics, Vitebsk State Medical College.