Novak N.V.1, Baitus N.A.2
Occurrence rate of pulpless teeth tints with the application of additional standards to VITA scale
1Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
2Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2017;16(6):92-98.
The aim of the study was to develop additional shades to the standard VITA scale for determining the color of the teeth after depulpation and to estimate the occurrence rate of pulpless teeth that do not correspond to the color standards of the standard scale. For the development of additional color shades computer color decomposition was used for each color sample of the standard VITA scale in RGB and CMYK color modes. In the period from 2014 to 2017 on the basis of the VSMU Clinic 190 patients were examined. When determining the color of 194 teeth after depulpation, it was recorded that in 47,4% of cases the identification of the original color was difficult, since the standard VITA scale lacked the necessary shade. Using the RGB and CMYK color modes, we determined the ratio of the base color components of the pulpless teeth and those of the standards, compared them and converted them into digital and in letters symbols of the standard VITA color scale. By means of the Adobe Photoshop C8 program, additional registration of the parameters obtained in the RGB and CMYK color modes of the color shades of such teeth was made, which allowed us to supplement the standard VITA color scale with additional standards of color shades. The application of the developed by us additional color standards, which in their intensity and lightness exceed the existing analogues, makes it possible to fix the shades of the changed in color pulpless teeth, which was previously difficult to perform because of the absence of such standards in the standard VITA scale, and also enables the evaluation of the effectiveness of the bleaching performed or any other aesthetic treatment.
Key words: color, pulpless tooth, VITA scale.
1. Burak ZhM. Some features of determination of color of teeth in work of the stomatologist. V: Fundamental'naia nauka v sovremennoi meditsine 2014: materialy satell-konf molodykh uchenykh. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2014. Р. 23-9. (In Russ.)
2. Novak NV. Esthetic odontology: restoration of teeth with defects of firm tissues of a carious and not carious parentage. Minsk, RB: BelMAPO; 2011. 255 р. (In Russ.)
3. Abakarov SI, Abakarova DS. Optimum conditions and features of definition and creation of color in ceramic and ceramic-metal prostheses. Novoe v Stomatologii. 2001;(7):23-29. (In Russ.)
4. Lutskaya IK, Novak NV. The choice of shades of color in an esthetic odontology. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2003;(4):21-7. (In Russ.)
5. Naumovich SA, Polonik IS, Krushinina TV. Introduction of the computer training program for training of students stomatologists by determination of color of teeth. Med Zhurn. 2013;(1):141-4. (In Russ.)
6. Lutskaya IK. Fundamentals of esthetic stomatology. Minsk, RB: Vysh shk; 2005. 332 р. (In Russ.)
7. Salova AV, Rekhachev VM. Features of esthetic restoration in an odontology: prakt ruk. Izd 3-e ispr i dop. Saint Petersburg, RF: Chelovek, 2008. 160 р. (In Russ.)
8. Luizov AV. Color and light. Leningrad, RF: Energoatomizdat; 1989. 256 р. (In Russ.)
9. Lutskaya IK. Form and color – the integral components of esthetic function of tooth. Stomatol Zhurn. 2008;(1):24-9. (In Russ.)
10. Yoygler G. The doctrine about color. Moscow, RF: Stroiizdat; 1971. 159 р. (In Russ.)
11. Novak NV. Influence of tooth deposits on a perception of color and shape of teeth. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2008;(4):39-43. (In Russ.)
12. Pedkhem Ch, Sonders Dzh. Perception of light and color. Moscow, RF: Mir; 1978. 256 р. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Novak N.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Restorative Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education;
Baitus N.A. – lecturer of the Chair of Restorative Dentistry, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.