Kulbashna Ya.A., Zakharova V.А.
The role of project work in the process of future dentists’ foreign language competence formation
Bogomolets National Medical University, Kiev, Ukraine
Vestnik VGMU. 2018;17(2):87-92.
Objectives. To study the role of project method in the works of different researchers, the results of its implementation and to adjust it in order to facilitate the process of future dentists’ foreign language competence formation.
Material and methods. Project work is a method of future dentists’ foreign language competence formation which consists in providing a challenging issue for the students to research and prepare a presentation on a given task. This kind of activity should include the following stages: initiation, execution, presentation delivery and project close.
Results. The results of the pedagogical experiment, conducted among the first-year dental students in Bogomolets National Medical University for checking up the effectiveness of the project work method, revealed that the amount of «unsatisfactory» marks in the experimental group decreased by 15,4%, the number of «satisfactory» marks decreased by 12,6%, the number of «good» marks increased in the experimental group by 19,1%, the number of «excellent» marks increased in the experimental group by 8,9% as compared with the control group.
Conclusions. The method of project work has a number of advantages, and namely it provides successful teaching of language components (grammar and vocabulary), develops students’ language skills (reading, listening, writing and speaking) by putting them into the center of activity where they can use the language, encourages learners to acquire professional knowledge and practise communicative speech. The learners can experiment with the language in real life situations. Consequently, project work is successfully used to form future dentists’ foreign competence and increase their motivation to further self-education. The necessity of project application is thoroughly considered and substantiated in the article.
Key words: competence approach, project work, foreign language competence, professional competence, abilities, language skills.
1. Stricker K. Understanding the Five Stages of a Project. [Electronic resource]. Mode of access: https://www.thebalance.com/understanding-the-five-stages-of-a-project-2276104. Date of access: 29.01.2018.
2. Knoll M. Project method [Electronic resource]. In: Phillips DC, ed. Encyclopedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy. Thousend Oaks, CA: Sage; 2014. Vol 2. P. 665-9. Mode of access: http://mi-knoll.de/150901.html. Date of access: 29.01.2018.
3. Knoll M. The project method: Its vocational education origin and international development. [Electronic resource]. Mode of access: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JITE/v34n3/Knoll.html. Date of access: 29.01.2018.
4. Ashurova NR. The role of project work in teaching English. Molodoi Uchenyi. 2017;(19):286-7.
5. Kul’bashnaya YaA. Formation of foreign language competence of future dentists. Pedagogіchnii protses: teorіia і praktika. 2014(Vip 3):103-9. (In Ukr.)
6. Akhmadalieva SM. Project activities in English lessons. Molodoi Uchenyi. 2016;(3):779-81.
7. Kul’bashnaya YaA. Application of innovative pedagogical technologies for formation of professional competence of future dentists. Pedagogіchnii protses: teorіia і praktika. 2013;(Vip 4):104-17. (In Ukr.)
8. Larmer J, Mergendoller J, Boss S. Gold Standard PBL: Essential Project Design Elements (by BIE) [Electronic resource]. 2015. Mode of access: http://www.bie.org/object/document/gold_standard_pbl_essential_project_design_elements. Date of access: 29.01.2018.
Information about authors:
Kulbashna Ya. A. – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Candidate of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Surgical Dentistry & Maxillofacial Surgery, Bogomolets National Medical University;
Zakharova V. А. – lecturer of the Foreign Languages Chair, Bogomolets National Medical University.