Masyuk N.Y., Gorodetskaya I.V.
Characteristics of the thyroid status under the isolated and combined with the cariogenic diet crowding stress
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2018;17(4):48-54.
Objectives. To study the effect of hypothyroidism, the introduction of small doses of L-thyroxin on the level of iodine-containing thyroid hormones under stress – isolated and combined with the high-carbohydrate diet.
Material and methods. The experiment was conducted on 91 white male outbreeding rats. Groups: animals (1) were on Stefan’s diet during 2 months, were kept (2) under the conditions of crowding stress (40 animals were in one cage during the first month, 30 animals – during the second month), were kept (3) under the combined influence of these factors. Mercazolil was administered intragastrically in 1% starch paste: during the first month in the dose of 25 mg/kg, during the second month – in the half dose. The introduction of L-thyroxin was carried out in the similar way: during 28 days in the doses from 1.5 to 3.0 µg/kg, then in the dose of 1.5 µg/kg till the end of the experiment. The concentration of iodine-containing thyroid hormones (total and free fractions of thyroxin and triiodothyronine), thyrotropic hormone in the blood was determined by means of enzyme immunoassay using special kits.
Results. It has been proved that the influence of isolated and combined with the cariogenic diet stress causes a decrease in the serum level of iodine-containing thyroid hormones and an increase in the concentration of thyrotropic hormone in the blood due to the feed-back interaction in the hypophysis-thyroid system. Experimental hypothyroidism governs the greater inhibition of the thyroid function under the mentioned conditions, and also causes the imbalance development in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid system.
Conclusions. The introduction of the small doses of L-thyroxin normalizes the thyroid status under the influence of isolated and combined with the diet of Stefan stress and prevents the development of dysregulatory process in the hypophysis-thyroid gland system.
Key words: iodine-containing thyroid hormones, stress, cariogenic diet.
1. Garmendia Madariaga A, Santos Palacios S, Guillén-Grima F, Galofré JC. The incidence and prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in Europe: a meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Mar;99(3):923-31. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2409
2. Helmreich DL, Tylee D. Thyroid hormone regulation by stress and behavioral differences in adult male rats. Horm Behav. 2011 Aug;60(3):284-91. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.yhbeh.2011.06.003
3. Opstad PK; Defense Technical Information Center. Еndocrine and metabolic changes during exhaustive multifactorial military stress. Results from studies during the ranger training course of the Norwegian Military Academy. Oslo; 2001. 30 р.
4. da Silva Pde L, Barbosa Tde S, Amato JN, Montes AB, Gavião MB. Gingivitis, psychological factors and quality of life in children. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2015;13(3):227-35. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3290/j.ohpd.a32344
5. Roohafza H, Afghari P, Keshteli AH, Vali A, Shirani M, Adibi P, et al. The relationship between tooth loss and psychological factors. Community Dent Health. 2015 Mar;32(1):16-9.
6. Stephan RM. Effects of different types of human foods on dental health in experimental animals. J Dent Res. 1966 Sep;45(5):1551-61. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00220345660450054701
7. Kirillov NA, Smorodchenko AT. Histochemical characterization of the structures of the lymphoid organs of rats under stress. Biul Eksperim Biologii Meditsiny. 1999;127(2):171-73. (In Russ.)
8. Korenevskaya NA, Gorodetskaya IV. The state of marginal periodontal tissues depends on the thyroid status of the organism. Vestn VGMU. 2010;9(1):142-49. (In Russ.)
9. Gorodetskaya IV, Masyuk NYu. Mechanisms of increasing the structural and functional stability of solid tooth tissues by iodine-containing thyroid hormones. Vestn Smolen Gos Med Akad. 2017;16(3):90-9. (In Russ.)
10. Gorodetskaya IV, Gusakova EA. The role of iodine-containing thyroid hormones in the regulation of proteolysis in stress in rats. Vestsі NAN Belarusі Ser Med Navuk. 2013;(4):65-70. (In Russ.)
11. Gorodetskaya IV, Masyuk NYu. Increased iodine-containing thyroid hormones caries resistance of hard tissues of the tooth. Stomatologiia Estetika Innovatsii. 2017;1(1):119-29. (In Russ.)
12. Masyuk NYu, Gorodetskaya IV. Increased activity of alkaline phosphatase of saliva in low doses of L-thyroxine under stress and cariesogenic diet. V: Dostizheniia fundamental'noi, klinicheskoi meditsiny i farmatsii: materialy 73-i nauch ses VGMU 29–30 ianv 2018 g: v 2 ch. Vitebsk, RB: VGMU; 2018. Ch 2. Р. 490-2. (In Russ.)
13. Scardina GA, Messina P. Modifications of interdental papilla microcirculation: a possible cause of periodontal disease in Hashimoto's thyroiditis? Ann Anat. 2008;190(3):258-63. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2007.12.004
14. Yang H, Cong Y, Wu T, Tang H, Ma M, Zeng J, et al. Clinical efficacy of Yingliu mixture combined with metimazole for treating diffuse goitre with hyperthyroidism and its impact on related cytokines. Pharm Biol. 2017 Dec;55(1):258-263. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13880209.2016.1260595
Information about authors:
Masyuk N.Y. – postgraduate of the Chair of Normal Physiology, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Gorodetskaya I.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Normal Physiology, dean of the Medical Faculty, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.