Pashinskaya E.S., Semenov V.M.
The effect of Toxoplasma gondii on the expression of GFAP, S 100 and the proliferative activity index Ki-67 in tissues of experimental rat glioma
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2019;18(6):50-58.
Objectives. To study the effect of Toxoplasma gondii on the expression of GFAP, S 100 and the proliferative activity index Ki-67 in experimental rat glioma tissues depending on the dose of infection and the term of the parasite development.
Material and methods. The experiment was conducted on female Wistar rats and consisted of 3 series. After modelling the tumor of rat glioma C6 in situ experimental animals were divided into 18 groups of 10 individuals each. The first series of the experiment included animals of groups 1-6, from which the material was taken on the 14th, 21st, 28th, 35th, 42nd and the 49th day of glioma development. The results of the first series were used as a control. In the second series, females of groups 7-12 participated, the obtained data of which characterized the effect of Toxoplasma on the studied parameters in case of animal invasion at the dose of 25 tachyzoites per 1 g of animal body weight (5000 tachyzoites per female) depending on the time from the beginning of infection. The third series involved rats of groups 13-18, the results of which showed the role of toxoplasm (infection dose of 50 tachyzoites per 1 g of animal body weight, 10000 tachyzoites per female) in changing the expression of GFAP, S 100, proliferative activity of Ki-67.
Results. It has been revealed that Toxoplasma invasion at the dose of 5000 tachyzoites per rat causes 1.79-3.25 times increase of the proliferative activity in the tumor tissue compared to the control at all stages of the parasite development (acute and chronic toxoplasmosis).
Conclusions. The infection dose of 10000 tachyzoites per animal leads to 1.79-3.19 times increase of the expression of GFAP compared with the control series and compared to the series No. 2 (5000 tachyzoites per female infecting) – 1.53-3.5 times in all periods of the parasite development; 1.456.33 times increase in the expression of S 100 compared with the control and compared with the second series – 1.24-5.32 times; triggers 3.18-7.33 times growth of the proliferative activity index of Ki-67 compared to the control and in comparison with the second series – 1.2-2.25 times, respectively.
Key words: Toxoplasma gondii, GFAP, S 100, Ki-67, rat, glioma.
1. Mikhaylova NR, Kalinina TN, Tuchkov DYu, Losin EI, Abakumov GG. Toxoplasmosis of the brain in patients with HIV infection in the city of Orenburg. Vestn Orenburg Gos Un-ta. 2015;(1):138-44. (In Russ.)
2. Barycheva LYu, Golubeva MV, Kabulova MA, Kostornaya IV. Clinical and morphological features of malformations in children with congenital cytomegalovirus and toxoplasma infections. Ros Vestn Perinatologii Pediatrii. 2015;60(3):50-7. (In Russ.)
3. Ngô HM, Zhou Y, Lorenzi H, Wang K, Kim TK, Zhou Y, et al. Toxoplasma modulates signature pathways of human epilepsy Neurodegeneration & Cancer. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep;7(1):11496. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-10675-6
4. Mammari N, Halabi M, Yaacoub S, Chlala H, Dardé ML, Courtioux B. Toxoplasma gondii modulates the host cell responses: an overview of apoptosis pathways. Biomed Res Int. 2019 Apr;2019:6152489. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2019/6152489
5. Kolotov KA, Mashkovtsev OV, Beyn BN. Immunohistochemical features of glial brain tumors. Med Al'm. 2012;(4):66-9. (In Russ.)
6. Nadyrov EA, Rogov YuI, Dubrovskiy ACh, Voropaev EV, Achinovich SL, Krylov AYu, i dr. Immunohistochemical methods for the study of neoplasms of various origins: instruktsiia po primeneniiu № 160-1110: utv M-vom zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus' 11.02.2011 g. Gomel', RB; 2011. 20 p. (In Russ.)
7. Pobyarzhin VV, Pashinskaya ES, Semenov VM, Dmitrachenko TI, Shlyakhtunov EA. Morphological and physiological characteristics of cancer cells in mammals. Vestn VGMU. 2016;15(6):28-40. (In Russ.)
8. Semenov VM, Pashinskaya ES, Pobyarzhin VV, Subbotina IA, Shlyakhtunov EA. Gene mechanisms of cancer. Zdravookhranenie. 2017;(7):38-47. (In Russ.)
9. Shokeir AA. Squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder: pathology, diagnosis and treatment. BJU Int. 2004 Jan;93(2):216-20. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410x.2004.04588.x
10. Smout MJ, Sripa B, Laha T, Mulvenna J, Gasser RB, Young ND, et al. Infection with the carcinogenic human liver fluke, Opisthorchis viverrini. Mol Biosyst. 2011 May;7(5):1367-75. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c0mb00295j
11. Blaszkowska J. Disturbance of mouse pregnancy after injection of Ascaris homogenate during early organogenesis. Wiad Parazytol. 2000;46(3):369-78.
Information about authors:
Pashinskaya Е.S. – Candidate of Biological Sciences, associate professor, doctoral candidate of the Chair of Infectious Diseases with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Semenov V.M. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Infectious Diseases with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.