Baitus N.A., Сhernyavski Y.P.
Clinical case of chronic apical periodontitis treatment, complicated by odontogenic maxillary sinusitis
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2020;19(2):96-102.
The aim of the research was a clinical study of the effectiveness of using a material based on «Bioplast-Dent» hydroxyapatite paste and a material based on mineral trioxide aggregate – «Rootsil» in the treatment of the destructive process in the tissues of the apical periodontium of tooth 1.6, complicated by chronic odontogenic sinusitis. The object of the study was a patient with destructive processes in the tissues of the apical periodontium of tooth 1.6, complicated by chronic odontogenic sinusitis of the upper jaw on the right, who applied to the Chair of Therapeutic Dentistry with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retrining of VSMU in 2018. Temporary obstruction of the root canals was performed with a material based on «Bioplast-Dent» hydroxyapatite paste. Permanent obstruction of the root canals of the root of tooth 1.6 was carried out using domestic material based on mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) – «Rootsil». The final restoration of the tooth crown was carried out after X-ray control from the moment of constant obstruction of the root canals in 3 months. Additionally, dynamic R-control was performed in 6 and 12 months. The treatment results have shown that the use of hydroxyapatite containing paste «Bioplast-Dent» and domestic material based on the mineral trioxide aggregate – «Rootsil» leads to the activation of osteogenesis in periodontal tissues in case of destructive forms of apical periodontitis. The terms of bone tissue restoration during their use 2-3 times decrease compared with the traditional treatment.
Key words: apical periodontitis, bone tissue destruction, hydroxyapatite.
1. Mitronin AV, Ostrovskaya IG, Vavilova TP. The history of endodontics: from science to practice. Endodontiia Today. 2016;(1):69-72. (In Russ.)
2. Modina TN, Bolbat MV, Mikhaylova VA. The concept of «intelligence» or informational content of implanted materials in periodontal surgery. Klin Stomatologiia. 2007;(1):50-2. (In Russ.)
3. Baytus NA. Hydroxyapatite-based synthetic osteoplastic materials in dentistry. Vestn. VGMU. 2014;13(3):29-34. (In Russ.)
4. Mikhal’chenko VF, Alekhanova IF, Vasenev EE, Agasaryan AS, Drozdkov MYu. The use of ProRoot MTA cement in therapeutic dentistry. Volgograd Nauch-med Zhurn. 2009;(3):57-9. (In Russ.)
5. Manak TN, Chernysheva TV, Sushkevich AV, Kuz’menkov MI, Shalukho NM. Development of dental Portland cement. Med Zhurn. 2013;(2):141-4. (In Russ.)
6. Kabak YuS; Bel gos med un-t. Conservative treatment of chronic apical periodontitis. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2004. 16 р. (In Russ.)
7. Chernyavskiy YuP, Kavetskiy VP. A multidisciplinary approach in the treatment of endoperiodontitis. V: Integrativnaia meditsina v cheliustno-litsevoi khirurgii i stomatologii: sb tr nauch-prakt konf s mezhdunar uchastiem «Parinskie chteniia – 2014», Minsk, 10-11 apr 2014 g. Minsk, RB; 2014. Р. 542-4. (In Russ.)
8. Marchenko EI, Chukhray IG, Baytus NA. Osteointegrating materials in therapeutic dentistry. Vestn VGMU. 2012;11(1):146-51. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Baitus N.A. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, senior lecturer of the Chair of Therapeutic Dentistry with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Сhernyavski Y.P. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, head of the Chair of Therapeutic Dentistry with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.