Adamenko G.V., Novitskaya V.A.
The peculiarities of pharmaceutical consulting when realizing dietary supplements and specialized products
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2020;19(5):101-107.
Every year the importance of pharmaceutical consulting on the realization of any goods of the pharmacy range to the buyer is growing. One of the components of this assortment, which is gaining more and more popularity among the population, is dietary supplements and specialized products. However, this product has its own peculiarities that must be taken into account when selling it to a patient. The purpose of this article is to distinguish these special features and work out an approximate algorithm for pharmaceutical consulting in the implementation of dietary supplements and specialized products by reviewing various studies on this topic, and also to compare the procedure of the consulting in the Republic of Belarus with that in other countries. As a result of this work, it has been concluded that there is a need for legislative approval of pharmaceutical consulting as a function performed by a pharmacist, and the use of foreign experience to provide pharmacy services to the population in our country at a new, more modern level. The main points to be oriented to while constructing the algorithms of pharmaceutical consulting of dietary supplements and specialized products have also been allotted to.
Key words: dietary supplements, specialized products, pharmaceutical consulting, algorithm of pharmaceutical consulting, pharmaceutical care.
1. Lin AA, Sokolov BI, Orlov AS. Pharmaceutical market: biologically active additives segment. Problemy Sovremen Ekonomiki. 2014;(3):297-302. (In Russ.)
2. Petrov VA, Vazhenina AA, Posokhova AV. The main problems associated with the production, circulation and use of biologically active food additives (BAA) and ways to solve them. Zdorov'e Med Ekologiia Nauka. 2015;(4):89-95. (In Russ.)
3. M-vo truda i sots zashchity Resp Belarus'. EKSD [Elektronnyi resurs]: Unified qualification directory of employee positions. Elektron tekstovye dannye. Minsk, RB: Amalfeia; 2015–. Zagl s tit ekrana. Sistemnye trebovaniia: Windows 2000/XP/7. Vyp 25: Positions of employees engaged in health care and social services, pharmaceutical activity. (1,17 Mb). 2015. 1 elektron opt disk (CD-ROM). (In Russ.)
4. On approval of Good Pharmacy Practice: postanovlenie M-va zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus', 27 dek 2006 g, № 120: v red postanovleniia M-va zdravookhraneniia Resp Belarus', 4 fevr 2016 g, № 9. V: OOO Professional'nye pravovye sistemy. Biznes-info. Analiticheskaia pravovaia sistema: Belarus' [Elektronnyi resurs]. Minsk, 2020. (In Russ.)
5. Soboleva MS, Maiorova IV. World practice of performing professional functions of pharmaceutical workers. Zdorov'e Obrazovanie v KhKhI veke. 2017;19(6):152-7. (In Russ.)
6. Eliashevich EG. New functions of the pharmacist at the present stage of pharmacy development. Vest. VGMU. 2015;14(1):6-11. (In Russ.)
7. Deikalo VP, Konevalova NIu, Kugach VV. Comparative characteristics of educational standards of higher education in the specialty «Pharmacy» of the Republic of Belarus and the Russian Federation. Vest Farmatsii. 2012;(2):62-6. (In Russ.)
8. Ianushevskaia AV, Ishchenko ID, Godovalnikov GV. Development of the algorithm of the pharmaceutical consultation of patients at realization of over-the-counter medications for allergic urticaria treatment. V: Sikorskii AV, Khryshchanovich VIa, red. BGMU v avangarde meditsinskoi nauki i praktiki: rets sb nauch tr. Minsk, RB: BGMU; 2019. Vyp 9. Р. 383-9. (In Russ.)
9. Krylov AV, Efimov RA. Place of sale. Hints of the «silent seller». Upr Kanalami Distributsii. 2006;(1):44-53. (In Russ.)
10. Lvova L. Dietary supplements and medicines. Farmatsevt Praktik. 2013;(9):44-5. (In Russ.)
11. Tsai H-H, Lin H-W, Pickard AS, Tsai H-Y, Mahady GB. Evaluation of documented drug interactions and contraindications associated with herbs and dietary supplements: a systematic literature review. Int J Clin Pract. 2012 Nov;66(11):1056-78. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2012.03008.x
12. Ubeeva IP, Tcybikova EN, Razuvaeva IaG, Verlan NV, Plekhanov AN. Phytocorrection of nervous system diseases (literature review). Vestn Buriat Gos Un-ta. 2013;(12):7-10. (In Russ.)
13. Timofeev NP. Comparative activity and efficiency of plant adaptogens (mini-survey). Novye Netraditsion Rasteniia Perspektivy Ispol'zovaniia. 2016;(12):502-5. (In Russ.)
14. Shikh EV, Bulaev VM, Demidova OA, Krutikova MN, Sokova EA. Safety of application of medicinal plant preparations: medicinal plants with hormonal activity. Ved NTsESMP. 2013;(3):49-2. (In Russ.)
15. Faizullina RA, Samorodnova EA, Shoshina NK. Phytotherapy possibilities in pediatric practice. Prakt Meditsina. 2009;(7):84-8. (In Russ.)
16. Tabeeva GR, Azimova IuE. Place of herbal natural drugs in the treatment of depression: efficacy and safety. Consilium Medicum. 2008;(2):129-33. (In Russ.)
17. Voronov GG, Pokachailo LI, Rozhdestvenskii DA, Iakimovich IF, Klyga EK. Medicines based on blueberries in modern ophthalmology. Mezhdunar Obzory Klin Praktika Zdorov'e. 2014;(4):130-8. (In Russ.)
18. Kriuchko TA, Vovk IuA, Tkachenko OIa. Efficiency and experience of using phytotherapy in cough syndrome in children. Zdorov'ia Ukraїni. 2014; Listop № 21:24-6. (In Russ.)
19. Ibragimova GIa, Khasanova RIu. Organization of pharmaceutical assistance in solving problems of overweight population. Sechen Vestn. 2017;(4):63-9. (In Russ.)
20. Redkin R. Food supplements: food or medicine? Farmatsevt Praktik. 2013;(5):14-5. (In Russ.)
21. Maleeva TL. Forming a group of children's food products that require pharmaceutical advice when choosing and leaving pharmacies. Med Al'm. 2018;(6):165-70. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Adamenko G.V. – senior lecturer of the Chair of Organization & Economy of Pharmacy with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University;
Novitskaya V.A. – applicant for a Master’s degree of the Chair of Organization & Economy of Pharmacy with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University.