Baitus N.A.1, Novak N.V.2
Clinical and experimental features of intracrown whitening of devital teeth
1Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
2Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2020;19(5):94-100.
The aim of this study was to improve the quality of restoration of the color parameters of a devital tooth and the elimination of its discoloration after provided endodontic treatment by a rational choice of means and methods when performing intracrown whitening of devital teeth. Research methods included retrospective analysis as well as experimental, clinical, and statistical ones. As a result of the study, the prevalence of discoloration of teeth after endodontic treatment and the occurrence frequency of devital teeth that do not match the color standards have been studied, additional shades of the standard VITA scale for determining tooth color have been developed, the effect of whitening and subsequent remineralizing therapy on the acid resistance of the enamel of depulpated teeth after extracrown whitening has been determined, the insulating properties of materials used for the manufacture of wellhead fillings on intracrown whitening of teeth have been studied. The advantage of using self-adhesive self-etching composite double-cured cement and glass-ionomer double-cured cement enabling the reduction of the risk of complications development after intracrown whitening by 23.7% has been shown.
Key words: color of devital teeth, whitening, optical properties, aesthetic restoration.
1. Grisimov VN, Khiora ZhP. The gloss and color of the restoration. Estet Stomatologiia. 2015:(1-2):75-9. (In Russ.)
2. Mazur IP, Khlebas SV. Correction of the color of hard tissues of teeth with discoloration. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2015;(5):9-13. (In Russ.)
3. Klimko KA, Naumovich SA. Possibilities of using composite materials for large restorations as an alternative to prosthetic constructions, implications for occlusion and the temporomandibular joint. Sovremen Stomatologiia. 2017;(1):12-6. (In Russ.)
4. Denga OV, Nepriakhina OV, Denga EM. Biophysical and optical parameters of the oral fluid and hard tissues of teeth during their whitening. Med Novosti. 2015;(1):60-2. (In Russ.)
5. Bansal R, Puneet A, Nalini S. Smile Enhancement With Professional Tooth Whitening. Heal Talk. 2010 Nov-Dec;3(2):45-6.
6. Maksimovskii IuM, Ulianova TV, Zablotckaia NV. Modern filling materials in clinical dentistry. Moscow, RF: MEDpress-inform; 2008. 48 р. (In Russ.)
7. Novak NV, Baitus NA. Isolating properties of mouth fillings for intracoronal teeth whitening. Vestn VGMU. 2017;16(2):113-9. (In Russ.)
8. Agresti A, Coull BA. Approximate is better than «exact» for interval estimation of binomial proportions. Am Stat. 1998 May;52(2):119-26. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2685469
9. Baitus NA. The prevalence of endodontic treatment of the anterior group of teeth. Stomatolog. 2015;(3):55-60. (In Russ.)
10. Novak NV, Baitus NA. Frequency of occurrence of shades of pulped teeth using additional standards to the VITA scale. Vestn VGMU. 2017;16(6):92-8. (In Russ.)
11. Novak NV, Baitus NA. Features of determining the shades of the color of pulped teeth. Stomatologiia Estetika Innovatsii. 2019;3(2):196-204. (In Russ.)
12. Novak NV, Baitus NA. Eksperimental'noe issledovanie kariesrezistentnosti emali zubov posle otbelivaniia i remineralizatsii. Vestn VGMU. 2016;15(2):87-92. (In Russ.)
13. Novak NV, Baitus NA. Acid resistance of tooth enamel after bleaching and remineralization. Stomatolog. 2016;(1):60-62. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Baitus N.A. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Chair of Restorative Dentistry with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University,
Novak N.V. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor of the Chair of Restorative Dentistry, Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education.