Yefremova L.A., Korobov G.D., Glushanko V.S.
Clinical and epidemiological analysis of the relationship between occupational bronchopulmonary pathology and work experience at flax processing enterprises
Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Vestnik VGMU. 2021;20(1):91-98.
Objectives. To identify the structural features of occupational pathology at flax processing enterprises and to determine the influence of work experience in unfavorable working conditions on the degree of permanent disability.
Material and methods. The analysis was carried out on 23 cases of occupational diseases of flax processing enterprises workers. The research applies the method of comparative analysis with the use of the exact Fisher criterion, Pearson’s correlation analysis, and the method of generalized non-linear models (GNMs).
Results. As a result of the study it was shown that the share of occupational diseases with bronchopulmonary pathology at flax processing enterprises amounted to 73.9%. By calculation it was determined that the minimum value of work experience in conditions of occupational hazard before diagnosing an occupational disease with disability made up 17.2 years.
Conclusions. The structure of professional pathology at flax processing enterprises of the region has its own specifics, which is manifested by the predominant share of pathology on the part of the respiratory organs. The calculated minimum value of the average work experience in the conditions of dust loads, leading to the development of occupational diseases with disabilities, has been established.
Key words: occupational diseases, disability, comparative analysis, correlation analysis, generalized non-linear models.
1. Izmerov NF. Protection of workers' health and prevention of occupational diseases at the present stage. Meditsina Truda Prom Ekologiia. 2002;(1):1-7. (In Russ.)
2. Kosiachenko GE, Iakovlev SE, Tishkevich GI, Ivanovich EA, Nikolaeva EA, Rakevich AV. The state of working conditions of workers in the agro-industrial complex of Belarus. V: Resp nauch-prakt tsentr gigieny. Zdorov'e i okruzhaiushchaia sreda: sb nauch tr. Minsk, RB; 2016. Vyp 26. Р. 182-5. (In Russ.)
3. Kaas R, Guverts M, Dene Zh, Denut M, Novoselov AA, per, Malinovskii VK, red. Contemporary actuarial risk theory. Moscow, RF: Ianus-K; 2007. 372 р.
4. Misun LV, Sevastiuk TV, Utenkov AP. Investigation of the process of dust pollution of the air environment of the production premises of flax processing enterprises. V: Mekhanizatsiia i elektrifikatsiia sel'skogo khoziaistva: mezhvedomstv temat sb. Minsk, RB; 2016. Р. 123-8. (In Russ.)
5. Mair A, Smith DH, Wilson WA, Lockhart W. Dust Diseases in Dundee Textile Workers: An Investigation into Chronic Respiratory Disease in Jute and Flax Industries. Br J Ind Med. 1960 Oct;17(4):272-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.17.4.272
6. Skepian NA. Allergic diseases: differential diagnosis, treatment. Minsk, RB: Belarus'; 2000. 287 р. (In Russ.)
7. Fedorovich SV, Sokolov SM, Skepian NA. Professional bronchitis. Baranovichi, RB: RUP Baranov ukrupn tip; 2004. 277 р. (In Russ.)
8. Borovikov VP. STATISTICA: the art of analyzing data on a computer. For professionals. Saint Petersburg, RF: Piter; 2001. 656 р. (In Russ.)
9. Saha A, Doctor PB, Bhagia LJ, Majumdar PK, Patel BD. A study of respiratory function among the workers engaged in ginning processes. Indian J Occup Environ Med. 2014 Sep-Dec;18(3):118-21. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0019-5278.146908
10. Popa V, Gavrilescu N, Preda N, Teculescu D, Plecias M, Cîrstea M. An investigation of allergy in byssinosis: Sensitization to cotton, hemp, flax and jute antigen. Br J Ind Med. 1969 Apr;26(2):101-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.26.2.101
11. Ong SG, Lam TH, Wong CM, Ma PL, Lam SK, O'Kelly FJ. Byssinosis in Hong Kong. Br J Ind Med. 1985 Jul;42(7):499-502. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.42.7.499
12. Omonova KhR. Morbidity of women working in industrial enterprises. Sborniki konferentsii NITs Sotsiosfera. 2017;(23):37-9. (In Russ.)
13. Green PJ, Silverman BW. Nonparametric Regression and Generalized Linear Models: A roughness penalty approach. New York, USA; 1993. 184 p.
14. Efremova LA, Glushanko VS, Korobov GD. The analytical component of the self-assessment of the quality of health by employees of the RUPTP «Orsha Flax Mill». Voprosy Organizatsii Informatizatsii Zdravookhraneniia. 2017;(3):72-9. (In Russ.)
Information about authors:
Yefremova L.A. – senior lecturer of the Chair of Internal Diseases Propedeutics, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University,
Korobov G.D. – Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor of the Educational Centre of Practical Training and Simulation Teaching, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University
Glushanko V.S. – Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, head of the Chair of Public Health & Health Service with the course of the Faculty for Advanced Training & Retraining, Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University,